Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all!
I have a remote engine oil filter setup that I bought years ago that went un-used and was wondering if I could use it for my transmission and how bout the filter element, I cannot find a trans fluid filter to fit it. oil filter OK? Thanks

J

·
Registered
9,894 Posts
Why not use the remote engine filter setup for what it's for and spend the 40-50 bucks to get a remote trans filter setup? :shrug

·
Premium Member
5,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Why not use the remote engine filter setup for what it's for and spend the 40-50 bucks to get a remote trans filter setup? :shrug
Because I already have this unit and if it will work I can save 50 bucks, hey, I'm posting at 9 am, I'm not retired or disabled sooooo I must be unemployed...haha

·
Registered
9,894 Posts
Because I already have this unit and if it will work I can save 50 bucks, hey, I'm posting at 9 am, I'm not retired or disabled sooooo I must be unemployed...haha
I post all day long.. I'm employed. :toothless

Just bored at work. :thumbup

·
MARBLE GARGLER!
11,873 Posts
The instructions say to install it in the return line, Any reason why ? Can I install it in the return line that exits the radiator BUT is before the auxillary trans cooler ?

·
Premium Member
5,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I post all day long.. I'm employed. :toothless

Just bored at work. :thumbup
aha!! Must have a Govt job! Thanks for all the info! I'll look into Fireguys threads to find the right filter!

·
Premium Member
5,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
180 Posts
my tranny guy that has been doing it for 30 years and just rebuilt my c6 told me not to run an inline filter. said any restriction caused by the filter will do far more harm than good. not saying i agree with him totally but thats what he said.

·
Super Moderator
26,323 Posts
I haven't clicked the links yet but that kit is available through Ford?
Yeah, I did notice that some of the aftermarket tranny filter kits come with PH8A's, which is a oil filter.
YO!
Yep, that Kit is avail thru Ford and aftermarket incl the manufacturer
-
Emerging Enterprises, Magnefine® emergingent.com

list price 90.52 sell 61.72
Jim Cockerham - Parts Manager @ Sunrise Ford
(909) 434-0473 as of 01-09-2009

do a google for the part number and find the best $ with best User Rating and then get locals to match or beat price.

As far as what others use, well, I go with Ford and the TSB:thumbup

·
Premium Member
5,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
my tranny guy that has been doing it for 30 years and just rebuilt my c6 told me not to run an inline filter. said any restriction caused by the filter will do far more harm than good. not saying i agree with him totally but thats what he said.
I can see that being true if of course it becomes totally clogged or clogged enough to restrict flow to the cooler. I suppose one advantage of a screw on filter would be the by-pass valve

·
MARBLE GARGLER!
11,873 Posts
I thought these filters DO have the bypass valve in them ??? I was looking on Ebay and on the description of one of them {a photo copy of an instruction sheet } it said they do- If they don't I want to know cause I won't run one then-

·
Premium Member
5,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I thought these filters DO have the bypass valve in them ??? I was looking on Ebay and on the description of one of them {a photo copy of an instruction sheet } it said they do- If they don't I want to know cause I won't run one then-
I don't know if the inline filters have a bypass, I'm just assuming they don't but I could be assuming wrong. I can't see how they could have one but I can't see a lot of things..lol

·
Premium Member
3,988 Posts
Oil filters won't work correctly
Look up my threads to see why and what filter to get
Ryan,

I have been using a Wix 51515, the same for my engine oil, as the PermaCool 81008 trans filter is specifically crossed referenced to this filter.

I see in 2005, you recommended the Wix 51622:

1) it is designed for trans fluid :duh I hate using the wrong part for the wrong job when it costs so little.
2) the PSI ratings are different than an oil filter, that seems like a big deal to me
Wix 51515
Media: Paper/Glass
Bypass Valve: 8-11 PSI
Burst Pressure: 290 PSI
Max Flow: 7-9 GPM
Micron: 21

Wix 51622
Media: Paper
Bypass Valve: 7-9 PSI
Burst Pressure: 500 PSI
Max Flow: 7-9 GPM
Micron:28

The Wix trans specific filter appears to have slightly less filtration and a much higher burst pressure rating. Other than the Paper/Glass and Paper filtration differences, what would be the critical difference? What kind of E4OD line pressure are we talking about?

I do respect your opinion that it is the "correct" part for the application. I am just trying to see why in order to forecast potential problems and plan for an upgraded E4OD.

Edit: After additional searching, I believe that the E4OD line pressure may well exceed 200 PSI at times requiring the higher burst pressure trans specific filter that Ryan recommends.

--------Idle-------Stall
P,N----55-65
R------75-99----240-265
OD,2---55-65----156-174
1------75-99----161-186

---------------------------

By the way, this is an opportunity to tell you that your RJM Injection Technologies Truck MAF Conversion Harness is awesome and a welcome upgrade to my MAF project!!! :twotu:

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.
10,858 Posts
I "might" used an oil filter if that is what I already had in the garage and I had no money.
But I would get the correct trans filter when it was time to change the filter.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts