1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
4,685 Posts
I believe you want a PermaCool 5021. Check it out on summit, see if that's what you're looking for.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Kind of, As long as I know this one has a hole then I will buy it. I would much rather just buy the one with all the shit ready to install.

·
Registered
610 Posts
bronco lover said:
Kind of, As long as I know this one has a hole then I will buy it. I would much rather just buy the one with all the shit ready to install.
I just ordered PRM-10677 http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=PRM-10677&N=115&autoview=sku

its the entire kit, guage and all for 79.88

but http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=PRM-10678&N=-119951+115&autoview=sku
should have a hole for the sending unit if you already have a guage

you can double check me at http://store.summitracing.com/instructions.asp?File=sum-g4980.pdf

I priced it out, and i could not find a guage/sending unit that would be cheaper to buy seperatly.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
smileybry said:
I just ordered PRM-10677 http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=PRM-10677&N=115&autoview=sku

its the entire kit, guage and all for 79.88

but http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=PRM-10678&N=-119951+115&autoview=sku
should have a hole for the sending unit if you already have a guage

you can double check me at http://store.summitracing.com/instructions.asp?File=sum-g4980.pdf

I priced it out, and i could not find a guage/sending unit that would be cheaper to buy seperatly.
I know that just buying it with the guage would be cheaper than doing the Autometer gauge but I want to do an A pillar gauge cluster. I read the directions earlier but they were fairly confusing to me also. I guess I might just end up calling them or wait until someone can confirm the standard Perma Cool one has a hole.

·
Yup, I'm fullsize....
1,798 Posts
sewiv said:
I believe you want a PermaCool 5021. Check it out on summit, see if that's what you're looking for.
You sir, are correct (per Sixlitre's supermotor's site - thank's Six).

·
Registered
610 Posts
unixdude said:
You sir, are correct (per Sixlitre's supermotor's site - thank's Six).

just remember if you get this one, its not part of a kit and you'll need to get all the hoses/hardware.

I believe that kit from summit (without the guage) comes with the hole provision. I'd call summit to make sure.

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
I just bought the B&M remote filter it did not have a temp guage hole in it. Even though the instructions said that I can use the hole between the inlet and outlet for a guage, or I have to plug it!:twak
The autometer trans temp guage (electrical) comes with a resistive sending unit. I removed the line pressure test plug and the sending unit fit nicely there. The plug is just infront of the shift linkage on the E4OD.

·
Practicing Infidel
15,299 Posts
bronco lover said:
I am in the middle of choosing a remote tranny filter on Summit and was wondering if anyone knew if the deluxe Perma Cool housing has a hole for a gauge? I know they make the one with the gauge buy I want to put in an A pillar guage cluster and use Autometer gauges.
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=PRM-10678&N=-119951+115&autoview=sku
I don't see a whole but see a plug and would think the housing would have one if they make one with the gauge included.
I loves mine

Sixlitre

·
Practicing Infidel
15,299 Posts
FordBroncoLover said:
What should be the standard running temperature of a tranny? Isnt it 160-185?
Sure doesn't reach that in the Winter I can tell you. Get it much over 200 degrees and your ATFs lifespan drops real quick like !

Without a large enough cooler and remote trans filter you'd be amazed at what what temps the stock fluids runs at.

Sixlitre

·
Practicing Infidel
15,299 Posts
11jdsummerfield said:
Where'd you get the a-pillar guage cluster? It looks good.
It's a generic glue-on unit from Faze. It holds two, I was looking for three or four, but us 80-86ers have to take what we can get.

You 87-91 types have a few to choose from and the 92-96s guys are well served.

Sixlitre

·
Registered
70 Posts
guys, I just received my filter kit from summit. I was looking for a spot to mount the kit, however the only place that looked good was on the frame on the pass side, right behind the rad. this would have the filter hanging in front of the axel. I just think that something might hit the filter when placed in this location. does anyone have a better place to install!!!

·
Registered
4,685 Posts
That's where I mounted mine. I put it very high on the frame, so that the bottom of the filter is even with the bottom of the frame. It seems pretty protected to me.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Sixlitre said:
Without a large enough cooler and remote trans filter you'd be amazed at what what temps the stock fluids runs at.
Sixlitre
So does the remote filter help to further cool the trans?

I have the tow package so I have a factory tranny cooler. I bought the remote filter but havent installed it yet. So does the filter further cool it as well as filtering it.

What makes the remote filter so important, its filtering abilities or is it also any additional cooling it provides?

·
Practicing Infidel
15,299 Posts
bigjoe7757 said:
guys, I just received my filter kit from summit. I was looking for a spot to mount the kit, however the only place that looked good was on the frame on the pass side, right behind the rad. this would have the filter hanging in front of the axel. I just think that something might hit the filter when placed in this location. does anyone have a better place to install!!!
That's the spot

just under the charcoal cannister, but well above the drag link. No amount of suspension travel will make the drag link hit the filter.

IMO I can't think of a better spot. On an 86 the lines run down that side to it's easy to interupt the return line from the rad to the trans.

Mogley

There must be a mild cooling effect with the remote filter hanging down in the breeze, but nowhere near the effect of the larger cooler. The importance of the remote filter is definately keeping the ATF and internal filter cleaner during the 12 months(possibly more for some people) between changes).

Every vehicle I've put them on has shifted noticeably better within a few miles on the very first test drive afterwards. Also the filter seems to improve the transmission for weeks afterwards, to the point where the 3rd to OD clunk just disappears completely.

Personally been involved with several F-150s, my Bronco's and Lincoln's AOD and several worked Mopar 727s. ALL worked better almost immediately.

Sixlitre

·
Registered
70 Posts
guys do you think I should just cut into the line or should I use the barb and pick up the fluid right out of the rad, this would also mean that I would have to route lines from the drivers side to the pass side. Also should I put it into line before or after the rad. I will be puting the cooler in after the rad.

·
Practicing Infidel
15,299 Posts
bigjoe7757 said:
guys do you think I should just cut into the line or should I use the barb and pick up the fluid right out of the rad, this would also mean that I would have to route lines from the drivers side to the pass side. Also should I put it into line before or after the rad. I will be puting the cooler in after the rad.
Me, I cut da line from da rad dat go back to da transmission

and then I slap du hose-de-clamps on her. She not leak yet ! No point in going direct from da rad nipple IMHO

Sixlitre

1 - 20 of 78 Posts