Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

Ditch the back seat in favor of a fabbed utility box?

• Nah. It comes in handy for (let me know your deal below).

Votes: 3 100.0%
  • Sure. But, the toolbox better be friggin' sweet. Like TIG'd Tread Brite, or something.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Eric
2,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many of you guys use your back seat for anything besides the family, friends, and "casual encounters"? I usually go wheeling alone and there are plenty of hotels around me for the other thing. I was kinda thinking about removing mine and doing, like, a storage box. Sort of like a truck bed tool box, but mounted to where the back seat usually goes. Hell, I might even figure out a way for it to use the existing seat catch and hinge points, somehow, for something. Opinions?

·
The Tennessee Warden
96 XL, 5.8L, E4OD, BW1356, 4.56 gears
3,517 Posts
For me, with the seat out it’s so much louder in the cab. Of course, mine is bare bones no frills, no topper headliner, no carpet on rear fender wells (yet), etc. I never use the seat for people but I keep it in mostly to help with noise. Sometimes I’ll put a Contico Tuff Bin behind the rear seat to hold tools and spare parts when I go adventuring. It has two spots for padlocks and I put long padlocks on there and run a ratchet strap through the locks and hook each side of the strap around the rear seats and onto the big pins where the seat hinges. Keeps the box nice and secure.

·
Registered
'92 Custom w/ '95 MAF 5.0, 33's, 4.10 LSD
2,336 Posts
Taking the rear seat out is one of the first things I did, and I don't miss it for a second. (Partly because it's universally regarded as the world's most comfortable porch couch...great for slouching, not so great for trying to sit upright in the back of a truck.) I used its bolt holes as tie-down points, providing maximum usable space and utility. It's also really, really heavy, and that is better suited for the porch.

I built a custom center jump seat console to have a third seat if needed. Any more than that, they can roll around in the back.

·
Super Moderator
25,359 Posts
Yo,
Since ww purchased our 96 new, nearly every week we've had back seat passengers.

Reactions: silver70

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I pulled both back seats out of my two Broncos. The 1996 was a nightmare and I broke three bolts at removal. Still formulating a strategy to remove them. I would really like to get a Suburban third row seat with the built in seat belt harness instead of the stock seat.

·
Premium 4 Lyfe - Way Back Staff
'95 XLT: 5.8, MAF, E4OD, 4.56's, 6" on 33's
36,246 Posts
My Dad pulled the rear seat out of his '78 years ago but he's a complete hermit and uses his rig like a pickup with a camper top more than anything else. He's happy with it that way... so I guess it depends on personal needs and preference.

Personally... I have few friends to consider, no kids, just a mid-size dog that likes to go anywhere and everywhere I'll take her and a lil' lady that will ride with me but would rather take her '15 F150.
I have a platform in the rear storage compartment that the dog loves to stand and walk around on. I really like it because it covers and hides the contents of the storage area and protects the big speaker box the PO installed and the emergency and off-road gear I store under the platform. It's an awesome theft deterrent, even with the top off (out o sight, out of mind. criminals usually go for the hassle free snatch and grab... not having to open a tailgate just to see what might be worth the effort).

I have kept the back seat with a towel thrown over it for the dog and the occasional but rare 3rd passenger. I have considered removing my rear seat and extending my platform on numerous occasions but last week, I had to use my Bronco to go up into the national forest and rescue a bro and his buddy, when his buddy got sick and was unable to ride his dual-sport motorcycle back down from the firewatch tower they had rented to stay at for a few days. If I hadn't had my rear seat, the 70+ year old gentleman who was sick wouldn't have had any place to lie down on the 2.5 hr. trip back. He was dry heaving, disoriented and confused for most of the ride... but he was at least fairly comfortable in the back seat for the ride down the mountains and back home to the city. Had I removed the rear seat, I can't even imagine how I could have helped them out.

As always, your call... but I'm glad I've had mine when I need it and I'm a "I'd rather have it and not need it, then need it and not have it." kinda guy. ;)

Also... I don't really understand the complaints of back seat comfort. My step-daughter was loving it on our road trip down to Oregon and back in the '90, the sick old guy was thrilled with it in the '95 and I've even been comfortable back there in 2nd, 4th and 5th gens. If you're a great big fella, I suppose that's an issue but for us regular and smaller sized folks, it's a comfy seat compared to many others.
Also... as most of us are aware, the fact that it can flip up/forward is awesome for more space as needed, unless you have a platform and a bunch of stuff, like I do. Of course... owning a Bronco over a pickup is great but having trailers for hauling needs is almost mandatory and I've got a few different ones for different needs and I have the space to store 'em out here in the boonies. 🍻

·
Registered
344 Posts
Not to hijack but if anyone has those beautiful springs, I’d pay a handsome reward!

·
Premium 4 Lyfe - Way Back Staff
'95 XLT: 5.8, MAF, E4OD, 4.56's, 6" on 33's
36,246 Posts
What kinda reward you talkin' 'bout here KCD? Dad's '78 doesn't need the ones he's still got in the cab but I don't know that they'll work exactly right in your '94... or that he wants to part with 'em. He shouldn't care, with no need... but old dudes can be weird about their stuff.

·
Registered
1979 Ranger XLT 400m T18
247 Posts
I bought mine specifically because it had a back seat. It's my daily and I'm hauling kids a lot of the time. If I didn't need a back seat I'd have a regular cab truck.

You could build up the rear foot well to match the cargo floor height and then start making cool custom storage. You might check out Aussie 4 wheelers/overlanders. I've noticed that a lot of them have serious storage/gear setups in their rigs often replacing the back seats.

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
12,725 Posts
Mount a tool box there. But leave it spaced up off the floor if you need to haul something longer.

·
Eric
2,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Wow. Kinda split between the crowd. Well, I have no kids, I'm single (usually), have no dog (anymore :(), and any buddies that do go out wheeling with me have their own 4wd. What I find I tend to do, albeit kinda weird, is use my BKO's rear area like a service van. I'll turn to my right and climb over the center console and rear bench to access the cargo area. I kinda like the lower foot area in front of the back seat. I use it like a little walkway. I just figured that if the bench were gone, it would make the cargo area that much easier to access. I, literally, have not used the back seat in the BKO once, for anything, since I bought it. It's immaculate. Also, I have an '02 Ram 1500 for towing, hauling, and DD, so the BKO is kinda moving towards it's anticipated purpose as a trail rig.

I can still be swayed though. All the original parts I take off the BKO I store neatly, for the next owner, if they want to take it completely back to stock when I die, and they manage to pry the keys out of my cold, clenched fist. I'm running out of space and don't really know where I'd store the bench if it came out.

·
Eric
2,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
LOL! Phoenix architecture is lacking in that aspect as most homes out here don't have "porches" per-se. You're lucky if you get a little walkway leading up to the door with a 5'x4' covered slab as a front "landing." My grandparents' house, on the farm, had a huge porch, but that house was built in the '50's. I do have a 30'x12' back patio though... :unsure:

·
Registered
914 Posts
I removed our back seat because we never have passengers in the Bronco. I just finished building a 'Doggie Deck' which attaches to the stock rear seat attachment points, so I can remove it and put the seat back in if necessary. I had a truck box behind the rear seat for years, but it took up a lot of space, and I was able to fit everything that I carried into two low-profile plastic storage bins that fit under the deck.

I put up a thread on the 'Doggie Deck' in the Fabrication section for those that are interested.

·
Registered
'92 Custom w/ '95 MAF 5.0, 33's, 4.10 LSD
2,336 Posts
LOL! Phoenix architecture is lacking in that aspect as most homes out here don't have "porches" per-se. You're lucky if you get a little walkway leading up to the door with a 5'x4' covered slab as a front "landing." My grandparents' house, on the farm, had a huge porch, but that house was built in the '50's. I do have a 30'x12' back patio though... :unsure:
Mine is a '50s ranch style house. Nothing big or elaborate, but nice open spaces in a modest package. My property is all driveway, so the porch is a necessity: a walkway in disguise, running from the uphill garage end to the mid-hill door. My lot is listed at 0.18 acres, and I'm probably 15+ feet above street level. I've built lots of levels branching off the driveway. :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
To me, the back seat is a pert of being a full sized Bronco. Mine doesn't get much use by peoples, but it holds the groceries just great and keeps the eggs whole and milk from being churned to butter. Back where I come from (and way back when) there was a big thing about mounting bench seats from a car into the back of a pickup, but they always faced to the rear. Glad I didn't go for that fad. Then new laws made it illegal for having passengers in the rear of a pickup. Dang, I didn't have a couch in my truck box back then, but we sure had a lot of mobile parties that came to a stop to prevent a sizable ticket and fine. No more squirting passing cars with the kegger...things change I suppose. Laws can sure kill a whole bunch of innocent fun. Then the big car makers started putting a bench seat in the very back of station wagons, facing backwards....the weirdest thing I ever saw and wish I could un-remember the vision of being stuck behind one of them full of teenagers, while stuck in bumper-to-bumper traffic. But, the Bronco seat allowed my family to make a ton of vacation trips, towing boats or quads, or just going to dinner. I'll keep it where it is.

Reactions: Frank Lanzisera

·
Registered
46 Posts
My Dad pulled the rear seat out of his '78 years ago but he's a complete hermit and uses his rig like a pickup with a camper top more than anything else. He's happy with it that way... so I guess it depends on personal needs and preference.

Personally... I have few friends to consider, no kids, just a mid-size dog that likes to go anywhere and everywhere I'll take her and a lil' lady that will ride with me but would rather take her '15 F150.
I have a platform in the rear storage compartment that the dog loves to stand and walk around on. I really like it because it covers and hides the contents of the storage area and protects the big speaker box the PO installed and the emergency and off-road gear I store under the platform. It's an awesome theft deterrent, even with the top off (out o sight, out of mind. criminals usually go for the hassle free snatch and grab... not having to open a tailgate just to see what might be worth the effort).

I have kept the back seat with a towel thrown over it for the dog and the occasional but rare 3rd passenger. I have considered removing my rear seat and extending my platform on numerous occasions but last week, I had to use my Bronco to go up into the national forest and rescue a bro and his buddy, when his buddy got sick and was unable to ride his dual-sport motorcycle back down from the firewatch tower they had rented to stay at for a few days. If I hadn't had my rear seat, the 70+ year old gentleman who was sick wouldn't have had any place to lie down on the 2.5 hr. trip back. He was dry heaving, disoriented and confused for most of the ride... but he was at least fairly comfortable in the back seat for the ride down the mountains and back home to the city. Had I removed the rear seat, I can't even imagine how I could have helped them out.

As always, your call... but I'm glad I've had mine when I need it and I'm a "I'd rather have it and not need it, then need it and not have it." kinda guy. ;)

Also... I don't really understand the complaints of back seat comfort. My step-daughter was loving it on our road trip down to Oregon and back in the '90, the sick old guy was thrilled with it in the '95 and I've even been comfortable back there in 2nd, 4th and 5th gens. If you're a great big fella, I suppose that's an issue but for us regular and smaller sized folks, it's a comfy seat compared to many others.
Also... as most of us are aware, the fact that it can flip up/forward is awesome for more space as needed, unless you have a platform and a bunch of stuff, like I do. Of course... owning a Bronco over a pickup is great but having trailers for hauling needs is almost mandatory and I've got a few different ones for different needs and I have the space to store 'em out here in the boonies. 🍻
A trailer like this???
20190426_123651.jpg

1 - 20 of 28 Posts