Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys I need some help. I stripped the transfer case fill plug. Made the common mistake of using the square ratchet instead of a 10mm hex. I bought a 10mm hex to see if maybe I could extract it but no joy. Since then I've tried channel locks (nope), hammer and chisel (nope), hammer and screwdriver (nope). I even took a 3/4 chisel to the center and then tried to turn it. (won't budge) Nothing! I did a drain and fill on the T case about 4 months ago so it should be easier to turn. I bought extractor flutes for my drill, but I can't seem to drill into it. How the heck can I get this thing out?

Last weekend I picked up a T-case drain plug from a JY and plan to replace the fill plug with it. Those still work with the square. In case it doesn't fit does anyone know where I can buy one?

·
Registered
649 Posts
Is it flush or recessed with the casing or is it proud enough you could grind a slot across it and use something like a screwdriver to turn it?

·
Super Moderator
14,918 Posts
sounds like you over tightened..you have to be super careful that the plug hole doesn't get cracked..

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is it flush or recessed with the casing or is it proud enough you could grind a slot across it and use something like a screwdriver to turn it?
Already cut a groove with a chisel. But I can't seem to get enough torque to turn it.

·
Super Moderator
25,031 Posts
Yo Siggy,
For a new plug try a friendly NAPA person who can look it up in their master catalogs.

Some places sell used plugs, such as bw 1356 drain plug - Google Shopping

Some members here have used an easy out to remove it
Member DUSTBALL wrote, "I haven't come across a plug I couldn't get out using the 10mm socket by hammering it in as far as it'll go then using an impact to back it out"
Edit, I believe he used a 10-Millimeter Female Square Head Drain Plug Socket

·
Registered
649 Posts
Can you lock a set of vice grips on it and hit the vice grips with a hammer? Sometimes jarring can be more effective than steady force.

·
Super Moderator
4,794 Posts
If and when you get it out, you can just use pipe plugs for new ones. It's what I did on mine and they work really well. Plus, there's a good bit to grasp should anything go wrong in the future. They were also inexpensive.

Not the best pic (some grease on the lense), but:

As for getting it out, I'd simply try drilling through it. Invest in some high quality bits meant to drill through steel, and put a hole down the center. Once you do, you can get a bolt extractor into the hole, which should give you enough bite to reverse it.

Reactions: Siggy89

·
Registered
96 5.8, 4.10 gears with truetrac 4 inch lift, 15x10 with 35s, 50 series flow master, 3 inch catback.
28 Posts
This is going to sound kind of hokey but this might be worth a try. Paper has an unbelievable sheer strength when jammed tight. Basic chemistry crap from school. Take a piece of copy paper about 2 inches square and place it over the plug. Using a hammer drive your hex into the paper and into the plug. It should be very tight and jammed in. Use a 1/2 inch ratchet or breaker bar with cheater and it may very well break loose. I rounded one of the plastic toyota filter covers that house the filter element and tried everything to get it to turn without slipping. Cruised the internet and came across the paper trick. Placed the paper over the filter and then forced my metal filter wrench on it with a hammer. Used a breaker bar and it turned right off without slipping. Worth a try imo. Good luck.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks, I'll give the paper trick a shot today. As for some of the other suggestions, I've tried the vice grips (nope), tried a pipe wrench too (nope)
If and when you get it out, you can just use pipe plugs for new ones. It's what I did on mine and they work really well. Plus, there's a good bit to grasp should anything go wrong in the future. They were also inexpensive.

As for getting it out, I'd simply try drilling through it. Invest in some high quality bits meant to drill through steel, and put a hole down the center. Once you do, you can get a bolt extractor into the hole, which should give you enough bite to reverse it.
This is a great idea! I assume pipe plugs are found at Home Depot or Lowe's right?

·
Registered
793 Posts
Saw somewhere here in the past that you can clean the inside of the plug thoroughly, fill it with JB Weld then wrap the end of a 3/8 drive extension in saran wrap, insert it into the JB Weld then remove it and wait for it to cure. After it cures you insert the drive and remove the plug.

·
Super Moderator
4,794 Posts
Fixed it! Thanks to AbandonedBronco for the advice. Ending up having to buy a drill bit for HARD metal. Drilled through it, removed with the easy out. Then replaced the plug with a pipe plug.

Thanks for the assistance everyone.
Awesome! Glad to hear.
It's crazy how the right drill bit will suddenly cut through like butter.

·
Premium Member
4,353 Posts

Do anyone recall what the specs are for these pipe plugs as I would like to order some online without trying to match them up at a hardware store.

PS. snap on sell a plug removal tool. It's slightly larger than a 3/8 extension that stripped my drain plug on my t-case. Found out about it after and ordered one. Also just now this moment found OEM sells a drain plug socket kit for much cheaper. Think I paid $24 for just one socket from snap on. The drain plug socket kit is OEM 25374 and is $23 on amazon.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Do anyone recall what the specs are for these pipe plugs as I would like to order some online without trying to match them up at a hardware store.

PS. snap on sell a plug removal tool. It's slightly larger than a 3/8 extension that stripped my drain plug on my t-case. Found out about it after and ordered one. Also just now this moment found OEM sells a drain plug socket kit for much cheaper. Think I paid $24 for just one socket from snap on. The drain plug socket kit is OEM 25374 and is $23 on amazon.
I had that concern about matching it up too, but At Home Depot there was only one pipe cap option that could possibly fit. The others were WAY too large.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts