1,271 Posts
preliminary findings show that my truck can't cool as effectively now:banghead
when i get my hooks on that sumbitch is going back on too
Why do you say that my truck runs really cool and I have never had one on there

·
Registered
1996 Bronco 5.0/E4OD/BW1356
1,491 Posts
wierd - mine has not been on the truck for years and the damn thnig never gets past half on the temp gauge...

·
has no skidplate
4,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
driving yesterday with damn, sitting at a light it got to 205
driving 35mph for <1minute brought the temp back down to 180-185
today temp got to 205 sitting at a light driving at 35mph for >2minutes it was tapping 210:banghead:

·
Call an amberlamps!
1,349 Posts
driving yesterday with damn, sitting at a light it got to 205
driving 35mph for <1minute brought the temp back down to 180-185
today temp got to 205 sitting at a light driving at 35mph for >2minutes it was tapping 210:banghead:
When was the last time you did a coolant flush?

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Half way mine never gets to the N on NORMAL. I don't think the air dam is the problem. I am guessing a sticky thermostat, or bad coolant.

·
has no skidplate
4,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Half way mine never gets to the N on NORMAL. I don't think the air dam is the problem. I am guessing a sticky thermostat, or bad coolant.
did you meant right of way?
it's not the T-stat, i can see it open on my gauge:thumbup and it's fairly new, along with the pump
but there shouldn't have been that significant of a change between last night and this afternoon, the only thing that's changed is the air dam

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
I would say that that's your problem. If your coolant is low then your engine will get hot. Simple physics of the internal combustion engine's cooling system. And if it is leaking under pressure I would go have a pressure check done to make sure you don't have a bad head gasket.

·
Call an amberlamps!
1,349 Posts
I had a 79 f250 and my truck was ALWAYS overheating. I flushed my coolant (by flush i dont mean replace... Full flush) It was fine once i did that, never above the "normal". Although it killed my waterpump a week later but once i replaced that i never had a problem.

·
Registered
897 Posts
There should also be a board type thing closing off the botom of the grill aera to the rad. Is that still there?? If not thats your problem I bet.

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,025 Posts
There should also be a board type thing closing off the botom of the grill aera to the rad. Is that still there?? If not thats your problem I bet.
It's a flexible fiber kinda piece, and yes, this is very helpful to have under the grille-to-radiator area since it helps force air through the radiator.

The main thing for the air dam below, if your stock and sitting lower to the ground, is it does likely help a little with your MPG's on the highway.

·
Kitteh Commandaar!
4,191 Posts
Except for stupidity :brownbag: I've never had mine go past half yet. Except for pulling up a hill fully loaded and a trailer so far, but then it still didn't get any higher than 2/3s up the gauage.

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,734 Posts
205 degrees F isn't bad at all. That's only about 5% gauge error, from the specified 195, and I doubt the accuracy of any of the types of gauges we can afford. I'd only get worried if it starts hitting about 220-230 range. The "self-flushing" characteristic needs to be taken care of before anything else. If the system can't hold pressure, all sorts of cooling system problems are possible.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts