Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This isn't on my bronco but in my house. I have a plumbing fixture that I broke a screw head off of. There isn't anything to grab onto with vice-grips or the such because where the head broke off is flush with the surface. Plus it's a small screw (probably 1/8 inch wide).

How in the world could I remove something like that? Are there any handy dandy tools that help with something like that?

Any advice (besides a BFH) would be appreciated.:popc1:

·
Administrator
22,857 Posts
ez out...check you local hardware store for them...you drill small hole in screw then insert ez out and unscrew the broken thread.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds EASY enough. Are they pretty effective at getting the job done?

·
crank trigger
8,155 Posts
i don't know. do they make ez outs small enough for that one? you might have to drill it out. be careful not to break your bit in there. get the whole thing soakingin penetrant while you brainstorm.
you might need to just drill it out and then chase the threads (they have a pretty cool threadchaser setup at harbor freight for $5, it is in the screwdriver section). good luck dude.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok...I've never heard of a thread chaser before. I just did a web search and found a picture of one and I'm clueless how that would work.
Do I drill out as much of the screw that I can and then use that thing to pick out the pieces of the remaining threads. Is that how it works?

I wonder if I could drill a hole and insert a metal rod into the hole and get some strong epoxy to hold it in there and once it's dried...use my vice grips to twist it out. It's a new plumbing fixture so I don't imagine that the screw is in there too tight. Don't know though.

·
Lick my balls
13,029 Posts
Forget the easy out, I doubt they make one that small. You say it is a plumbing fixture. What exactly is this fixture? I would just move the fixture and forget about the broken screw.

EDIT: snap a pic

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's a tub handle for the hot water. There is a long shaft that holds the actual handle to the valve and on the end of the shaft are some threads and the shaft snapped off (thanks to me and my brute strength):toothless
The shaft snapped off right off so that the threaded portion is flush with the valve.
I disconnected everything but there's no way to access the threads from underneath. Only the top.

I'll have to buy a new shaft but I don't have a way to thread it in because the old threads are stuck inside. :banghead

·
crank trigger
8,155 Posts
Million$dragon said:
Ok...I've never heard of a thread chaser before. I just did a web search and found a picture of one and I'm clueless how that would work.
Do I drill out as much of the screw that I can and then use that thing to pick out the pieces of the remaining threads. Is that how it works?

I wonder if I could drill a hole and insert a metal rod into the hole and get some strong epoxy to hold it in there and once it's dried...use my vice grips to twist it out. It's a new plumbing fixture so I don't imagine that the screw is in there too tight. Don't know though.
that is pretty much it. i would drill out as much as possible then dig out what you can with some picks and then chase (in case you nicked the threads with the bit or something).
the epoxy thing sounds like a longshot. something that small should succumb to the drill.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts