Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
US, 89, 5.8,C6, 1356 BW (manual), 5 Bolt Hub (automatic) No modes like to keep it or
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was am replacing my upper ball joints and when I was removing my camber bushing part of it snapped off. I could get an good enough grip with a pittman puller or 2 jaw puller. So I was hoping if I exposed all the threads by cutting away the bushing I could pound the top to push it out. Well almost 3 hours later this is where I am.

Any suggestions or has anyone dealt with this before?

·
Premium Member
US, 89, 5.8,C6, 1356 BW (manual), 5 Bolt Hub (automatic) No modes like to keep it or
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well after 2 iterations of propane heat and beating the crap out if the knuckle with a 5/lb mallet. It came out kinda.

The lower ball joint go so hot after I was done I went in to get a sandwhich and fight with the wife about how I spend to much time on my Bronco. When I came back out to see if the lower ball would turn it was still to hot to touch. I need a beer.

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
13,707 Posts
Whoa, I dont envy that job.

Try pounding a pickle fork in there, then pounding the BJ from the top. Try tapping the sides of the knuckle as well, with the pickle fork providing downward pressure.

Buy or rent a BJ press. It comes in handy for u-joints too... It's a tool you must have on the trails, imho.

·
Ultra Premium Member
1996 EB w/5.8 TOO much lift, 44" Mudders & 5:43-5:38's
5,411 Posts
Ball joint press, money well spent and you will use it for a lot more things than ball joints.

·
Registered
78 Custom 460 NP435 NP205 Sniper EFI HyperSpark Ignition 4.56 Gears Front/Rear Grizzly Lockers
2,557 Posts
Ball joint press, money well spent and you will use it for a lot more things than ball joints.

I use mine for coring apples.

·
Ultra Premium Member
5,411 Posts
Reactions: Doosenberry

·
~*~*~*~*~*~*~
10,200 Posts
Advice: Pound another beer, Go inside and Grudge Fuch her, and go back out anf finish the job !!!
LAMO!
Really dude? I've found a few comments of yours that's just to me out of line. Guess I need to find the ignore button on this new format. Only used it once in my 13 years being here, now its 2.

To @First89Bronco, get rid of the propane and get you a MAPP gas torch. Heat, spray with PB Blaster, let cool, rinse and repeat. Do this a few times then I would see about using a ball joint press to finish the job.

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
13,707 Posts
Really dude? I've found a few comments of yours that's just to me out of line. Guess I need to find the ignore button on this new format. Only used it once in my 13 years being here, now its 2.

To @First89Bronco, get rid of the propane and get you a MAPP gas torch. Heat, spray with PB Blaster, let cool, rinse and repeat. Do this a few times then I would see about using a ball joint press to finish the job.
Agree.

Mapp gas burns hotter. Though it stinks worse than propane. Or get a "real" torch!

·
Premium Member
4,028 Posts

that's a new one for me but, i think that'd be better than the little ball bearing tool i have that lets you use a lug nut to pull them through the axle. i usually end up chewing up at least one lug nut doing that.

·
Premium Member
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Used the ball joint press to get the lower one out. Then went to a neighbors to use his impact gun to get the rest out of the knuckle. I was not going to do that by hand. With MAPP it burns about 150 deg hotter when getting over 3k does that extra 150 really matter?
Advice: Pound another beer, Go inside and talk nice to the wife, and go back out anf finish the job !!!
LAMO! Para she is Italian from Jersey so the grudging and no sweet talking

Reactions: dash_cam

·
Ultra Premium Member
5,411 Posts
I believe it's 130°, but yes, it does make a big difference as it heats up the material a lot faster IMO.

Reactions: sackman9975
1 - 14 of 14 Posts