Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a commercial vehicle decal on my rear painted bumper left there by the previous owner. Its one of the transparent type which has apparently been there for a very long time. Trying to peel it back with my finger nails just causes tiny pieces to flake off, even while heating it with a hair dryer. I worked on the bastard for about an hour and got about a square inch of it off, total.

WTF?
:shrug :shrug :banghead

·
College User
2,013 Posts
Use a razor blade, and for the heat, it only helps on vynol stickers. Use shouold be able to slide a razor blade and not scratch up the vehicle. You might scratch some at first, but it is not hard to do at all. If glue is left behind use enamel reducer unless the bumper is spray painted.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
gobucs1 said:
Use a razor blade, and for the heat, it only helps on vynol stickers. Use shouold be able to slide a razor blade and not scratch up the vehicle. You might scratch some at first, but it is not hard to do at all. If glue is left behind use enamel reducer unless the bumper is spray painted.
It sure seems as though a razor blade would scratch paint...

·
Registered
787 Posts
Try spraying some WD-40 on it. That'll loosen up the adhesive, and make it easier to pull off the tiny pieces.

That and the hair dryer are your best bets. If you're careful you could use the razor blade to pry up a corner just enough to grab onto.

-Paul

·
College User
2,013 Posts
I use a razor all the time, I detail cars and dont hack them up. When I first started I scratched a few but nothing wax wouldnot cover. The pic aint showing so I dont really know what you have.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
gobucs1 said:
I use a razor all the time, I detail cars and dont hack them up. When I first started I scratched a few but nothing wax wouldnot cover. The pic aint showing so I dont really know what you have.

Its one of those monochrome trucks that's painted ALL black, including the bumpers- from the factory. The decal is on the bumper.

·
College User
2,013 Posts
If all else fails then rattle can it over, but yes I razor will work fine, once the edge is up you can pull the rest off, the razor just gets it started.

·
Premium Member
4,651 Posts
ValkariaKid said:
Try spraying some WD-40 on it. That'll loosen up the adhesive, and make it easier to pull off the tiny pieces.

That and the hair dryer are your best bets. If you're careful you could use the razor blade to pry up a corner just enough to grab onto.

-Paul

This is good advice take it...goo Gone and some other commercial types of adhesive remover work well also.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the responses, gentlemen; I think have have the solution to the problem. I stopped by and spoke with a friend of mine who is a body shop manager, and he told me that they have an "eraser wheel" that will take it off in a couple of minutes without harming the paint. He told me to stop by at the beginning of the week and he'd zip it off. :beer

·
RESIDENT ASSHOLE
10,770 Posts
Air chisle works well also..............:toothless

·
College User
2,013 Posts
The eraser wheel is what shop use when removing the tape left behind after removing moulding. Good to get if you ever want to remove yours.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts