Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Problem #1:
I can't get my driver side drum off. I must have assembled it wrong (though apparently I assembled the other side right) because the metal plate that keeps the adjuster from moving isn't in the right place. This means I can't depress it and rotate the adjustment knob which means I can't remove my brake drum. How do I get it off at this point? Can I grind off the back of the pins that hold the shoes in? Will that even allow me to remove it or just cause more of a mess?

Problem #2, which is why I decided to remove my drum in the first place:
Since I installed my new 3rd member and tires I have a rotational clunk that doesn't happen under very light throttle, and gets worse as I increase throttle. It starts at a very low speed, just as I'm taking off from a stop. It also doesn't happen in reverse. It is proportional with the speed of the truck and is coming from the rear. It doesn't change speed when I put it in 2LO (front hubs unlocked). It's not the rear-most u-joint on the driveshaft as that's new. It may be the double-cardan joint but both u-joints in that felt okay to me and it didn't do it before I installed my new 3rd member. I also packed them with grease and no change. I packed the slip-joint full of grease as well. What's weird is that it didn't do this before I installed my new 3rd member, so thinking it was probably something I messed with while doing that, I decided to pull the rear brakes and take a look. I jacked up the rear axle and ran the truck in gear to see if I could locate it but I couldn't get enough load to reproduce it. Could it have something to do with the Detroit locker?

Thanks for reading my long-winded post.

-Andrew

·
A broke kid with a bronco
4,065 Posts
Use 2 screw drivers to loosen the adjuster. One to lift the stop and one to turn the adjuster.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The adjuster "stop" is the part that is missing/installed wrong so I can't get at it to loosen the drum.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
410 Posts
I have often been able to get stuck drums off my Bronco by simply pulling on the left side while hitting the right side with a fair sized hammer. The vibration lets the shoes jump over the ridge on the worn drums. I have done this so often that I assume it will work for others too. I feel sure that the opposite orientation would work for lefties.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have often been able to get stuck drums off my Bronco by simply pulling on the left side while hitting the right side with a fair sized hammer. The vibration lets the shoes jump over the ridge on the worn drums. I have done this so often that I assume it will work for others too. I feel sure that the opposite orientation would work for lefties.
Yes, actually I was finally able to get it off with a sledgehammer.

I dropped off my rear driveshaft with my mechanic to have him rebuild the double-cardan with new u-joints. I'm hoping that fixes my clunking problem.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Since we are talking drums, my '81 has center caps with two holes for what looks like it needs a tool to remove to get the drums off...anyone know where to get this or have any tricks?

Thanks!!

Jeff

·
Roller rockers are gay
19,191 Posts
how about you start your own thread/post pics of what you are talking about.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts