Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well im finally getting around to getting the correct driveshaft for the other half's bronco. since the driveshaft right now doesnt have a cv in it im going to have to change the yoke on the transfer case as well. i assume its pretty straight forward. are there any tricks to removing and reinstalling a yoke on the output side of the transfer case (rear driveshaft) or is it just remove the nut and slide the yoke off then slide the new yoke on and torque the nut down? also how tight should this nut be torqued to?

·
Registered
455 Posts
is it just remove the nut and slide the yoke off then slide the new yoke on and torque the nut down? also how tight should this nut be torqued to?
Yep, that's how it's done, Okie. I'd replace the seal while it's accessable. You may need a puller to remove the yoke from the splines. And the torque spec is a muscle-building and gut-straining :muscle071 150 ft lbs.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so no need to rtv the splines? i know on the d20 in my 76 bronco you have to rtv the splines as well

·
Registered
106 Posts
wouldn't hurt to rtv. (insurance)
new seal is good idea while you have the yoke off.
I've been looking for an EB, those things are almost like gold anymore.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
desertrat_666 said:
wouldn't hurt to rtv. (insurance)
new seal is good idea while you have the yoke off.
I've been looking for an EB, those things are almost like gold anymore.
i have to agree with you. ive had some pretty high offers for my bronco(easily in the 5 digit range). its really crazy how much these things are selling for nowadays. which was PART of the reason the wife got a 2nd generation bronco instead of a eb. i can barely afford to build one eb as it is :histerica

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok well seems i have a new problem. the original seal didnt leak any. yet i went to put the new yoke in place and it didnt seal at all. any ideas why the seal would be different?

·
Registered
106 Posts
I think there might be 2 different seal (ID) sizes. Not poss. on that.
Is the yoke to small for the seal??
I bought 1410 yokes from High Angle Driveline and they what size seal I had. Do you have full rebuild kit for the 205?

·
Registered
585 Posts
okiebronco said:
ok well seems i have a new problem. the original seal didnt leak any. yet i went to put the new yoke in place and it didnt seal at all. any ideas why the seal would be different?
Your other half's '79 uses 1330 u-joints & yoke, whereas a '78 uses 1310 u-joints & yoke. The yokes are different sizes too, with respect to the u-joints. Sounds like you got a yoke for the 1310 u-joints. Just swap it out for the 1330 yoke, problem solved! :toothless

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well thats the problem. the u joints in the old drivesahft fit fine in the new yoke(so im assuming its the correct 1330 yoke). it just seems the shaft part of the new yoke is smaller diameter than the old one. im going to go by the parts house today and check to see if they can find me a seal. this is just something i hadnt expected to have to do :doh0715: i was talking with foghorn last night and he seems to think the front yoke and the rear yoke have a smaller diameter shaft which would mean one seal would be smaller than the other. anyone know if he is right? if so that might mean they might have given me a front yoke. if that is the case would i just be able to use a front seal? or will it not press in like it should

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
desertrat_666 said:
I think there might be 2 different seal (ID) sizes. Not poss. on that.
Is the yoke to small for the seal??
I bought 1410 yokes from High Angle Driveline and they what size seal I had. Do you have full rebuild kit for the 205?
the u joint part is the right size however the shaft that slides through the seal is too small. im not rebuilding the t/c because there isnt anything wrong with it. im just adding a cv drive shaft because someoone had a brain fart somewhere down the line and put a regular driveshaft in it so now there are some vibrations. i gotta get this thing going. weather is turning warm and shes on my ass because she wants to drive it :whiteflag on the bright side i do have her wrenching on the things that i know she cant mess up so at least shes learning some :histerica

·
Sneaky Ba$tard
2,983 Posts
Just checked with my NAPA guy the stock shaft seal front and rear are the same part number. So are the yokes. I was wrong on that one..

The NAPA part number that worked on my rig was NOS21203

Sizeing is

Internal Diameter 2.2150
Outer Diameter 2.0660

Also JBG list new yokes but they sell a different seal with theirs. Thier website states you have to use thier seals with the new yokes. Might be the problem your running into... I emailed them asking for the sizeing for. Heres a link to those at JBG http://broncograveyard.com/bronco/i-22493_transfer_case_conversion_seal_for_new_flange.htm

Hope this helps some----------
Fog

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
hey fog... i saw that last night as well and also emailed them. however both times in the past i have emailed them i never heard back from them so im really not expecting a response from them this time either. i say you just let me have the yoke and shaft out of your bronco then my problems would be gone :histerica i mean after all yours is a 78 so you dont need those parts anyway right? :beer

·
Sneaky Ba$tard
2,983 Posts
Yep.... I can try to get out there this weekend and pull the yoke... But the shaft is gone-----Give me a holler later this week if ya wanna tag along... Might be some other junk on there you can't live without.... But there's not much left---Fog

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
hell id settle for just the brand and part number for the smaller seal at this point :cry anything to get this together and her off my back

·
Registered
4 Posts
okiebronco said:
hell id settle for just the brand and part number for the smaller seal at this point :cry anything to get this together and her off my back
I just want to drive my bronco :cry and this stuff was supposed to be the easy part :banghead

·
Registered
106 Posts
I have got a part# but don't if it's the one your looking for.
Chacago Rawhide# 19255. I know it is to small for my old yokes (my 79 F-150 had 1330 yokes).
Do you still have your old seal? If so you should be able to go to the parts store w/seal and yoke to see if they have any that are the same.
I hope this is what you need but I know if it is.

·
Sneaky Ba$tard
2,983 Posts
okiebronco said:
i meant the yoke and shaft off the one that sits in your driveway :lowblow

Now I see how you are... Leave me walkin would ya??? I could use the exercise, but Nah.... Your welcome the one off the 78 if ya need it though...

Fog

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
desertrat_666 said:
I have got a part# but don't if it's the one your looking for.
Chacago Rawhide# 19255. I know it is to small for my old yokes (my 79 F-150 had 1330 yokes).
Do you still have your old seal? If so you should be able to go to the parts store w/seal and yoke to see if they have any that are the same.
I hope this is what you need but I know if it is.
if i had the right seal to crossreference numbers from i wouldnt have this issue. my problem is that the seal that is in there right now is too big for my new 1330 cv yoke. so taking a number off that seal wouldnt really do me any good. what company carries that rawhide brand? if i dont find the right seal tomorrow i think im just gonna be forced to give jeffs bronco graveyard some money. man i really dont like their service

1 - 20 of 27 Posts