Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1996 Bronco XLT, 5.8, Auto Everything.
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My '96 bronco WILL NOT exceed 80mph (even going downhill). The manual says something along the lines of "this vehicle will not drive at unsafe speeds".

Is this governor part of the computer, is it a physical device? Is there a reprogramming module I can put in it to get ride of this limit?

(No, I don't generally drive that fast in this boat of a truck, but I'd like the option every now and then. 80mph is average speed on some freeways, and if I need to pass when everyone is cranking it could be dangerous.)

·
Diesel Gynachologist
11,531 Posts
it shouldnt be that low, sounds like you might have an issue. what are your rpms doing? your not hitting the rev limiter instead are you?

I have had my bronco about 95mph without hitting the speed limiter.

·
USAF C-17 Maintenance
7,052 Posts
Didn't think ford went with speed limiters on trucks till 97. And that speed is 98. Something doesn't sound right, but if yours does, turn the key to start at 78 or so. As long as the clutch isn't in or in park/neutral the starter won't ingage but the computer will be cut out eliminating any speed control. Thats how I got the 97 to get to 116 before running out of safe road.

Adrianspeeder

·
Currently FSB divorced
956 Posts
Steve83 said:
There's no speed limiter on your truck. Have you changed tire size? Is your speedo accurate? Is the engine weak? Is the trans. slipping? Can you feel it running rough? Any codes?

Didn't we go through this before?--Maybe on a U-haul. :rofl:

·
Registered
349 Posts
My 90 doesent have one... ive gone about 105 with my father in the car next to me, and it probably could go more... also my moms mountaneers limiters at 110... as soon as it hits 110 it bogs down, and refuses to keep going...

·
Registered
88 Posts
My 93 Ranger limits out at around 95 or so. Can't really tell since the speedo only reads 85 and the needles down at the bottom. It rev limites close to 6000, got it there once while playing in an icy parking lot a few winters ago.

·
Registered
1996 Bronco XLT, 5.8, Auto Everything.
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Steve83 said:
There's no speed limiter on your truck. Have you changed tire size? Is your speedo accurate? Is the engine weak? Is the trans. slipping? Can you feel it running rough? Any codes?
On further investigation I can exceed 80mph on level ground. I noticed the limit when I was coasting downhill recently (a pretty decent grade), but it was the rev limiter kicking in. I guess the tranny shifts out of OD when you take your foot off the gas?

Thanks for your help, all...

·
Registered
384 Posts
I got a '96 Eddie Bauer with a 351 and burried speedo, so that puts me at about 90mph, and the tack was still under 3k, so she's got more in her, just not sure I want to go any faster then that!! I think my tires need to be ballanced or something to keep her smoother at high speeds, but something is up with yours, because you should be able to get MUCH faster then that

·
Registered
419 Posts
Is yours a former Governmemnt vehicle? if it was, alot of local govts will limit speeds of vehicle, here all vehicles are limeted to arond 75 (except ambulances/responses) other than than its a standard thing. the only reason i bring this up is the firestation to the south of mine has a bronco pimped into a FD vehicle. As for speeds, mine was govt, but ive buried the speedo and kept on gettin. start checking what has ben suggested.
Tim

·
Roller rockers are gay
19,191 Posts
Steve83 said:
No, it shouldn't downshift, and if you can go over 80 on level ground, you should have NO trouble downhill. I can set my cruise over 100, and I have a whimpy I6 & ~500 extra pounds.
i dunno if my 300 can even get to 100, but i know it'll get close, i'm sure it could, i just don't have the balls to get it there, and what do you mean whimpy?? that 300 is so torquey i dunno what to do with it..

·
Banned
11,720 Posts
It's torquey relative to its own hp, but it still makes less than any V8. If you need some ideas of what to do with a 4.9L, click my sig & look thru some of my albums. :D

Tim
It would cost a few hundred bucks to add a speed limiter to a Bronco, so I doubt anyone (esp. a gov't agency) has ever done it.

·
Super Moderator
30,677 Posts
Yo slink72,
Welcome!
Following by absent member Fireguy50 (Ryan M)
"The Intel 8061 processor chip holds the factory fuel injection program and commands the entire system. Within the program are Scalars, Functions, Tables, and Flow Charts. A Scalar is “a single numerical value assigned a label.” It sounds more complex than it really is. A common easy to understand example is the engine limiter: “REVLIM = 6000.” Functions are graphs, but Ford like to call them functions. It’s usually an input vs an output. So more input causes more output and vise versa. Tables are more complex than functions and are 3 dimensional graphs, when 2 inputs influence an output. The flow charts combine the basic scalars, functions and tables to dictate within the program to calculate an output. Flow charts are more for human understanding than computer function; it helps us to look at a complete thought.
Slope Rectangle Font Parallel Plot

Rectangle Sleeve Font Cap Tints and shades

Font Circle Diagram Event Parallel

The programmed values within the EEC are different for each vehicle/ year / engine / transmission model. Flow-Charts are not changeable, they are forever burned into the processor. These numbers within the scalars, functions, and tables can not be replaced. But they can be substituted with numbers by a chip, more on that later. The EEC only has one or two Flow Charts that are a lot larger than my simple example. The engine Flow-Chart is all combined and creates the system “Strategies,” a second flow chart can be added for vehicles with automatic transmissions."
Ryan further wrote "We also need a rev limiter and speed limiter for the safety of the vehicle; this changes from each model and engine. Basic models are limited to around 6000RPM and 90MPH by turning off half of the fuel injectors. Some Ford engines equipped with factory installed turbo / superchargers include maximum boost control through wastages." @ Fuel Injection Technical Library » Strategies
°
Find out if speed control, if equipped, recall work is completed.
If you still have concerns about Recalls, please contact the Customer Relationship Center:
US: 800-392-3673 | CA: 800-565-3673
Note: 3673 spells "FORD" on phone keys
For the hearing- or speech-impaired: Please contact the Telecommunication Relay Service by dialing 711.
... have VIN ready. [/SIZE]
"Summary: ON CERTAIN PICKUP TRUCKS, PASSENGER VEHICLES, SPORT UTILITY VEHICLES, AND MOTOR HOMES CHASSIS, THE SPEED CONTROL DEACTIVATION SWITCH MAY, UNDER CERTAIN CONDITIONS, LEAK INTERNALLY AND THEN OVERHEAT, SMOKE, OR BURN. THIS COULD RESULT IN AN UNDERHOOD FIRE."
See this guide by member jowens1126 to confirm recall status @ 93 & 94-96 Cruise Control Recalls Repair
Note that the 93 recall is different than 94-96.

For any Bronco questions or to chat about desired modifications or build, it's better to post each seperately in Noobie Bronco Tech Questions. Flame free zone. This will get more attention and you can build up your post count to get into other sections such as Bronco and Ford Parts/Accessories (50 posts required to participate due to scammers who preyed on our members ).

Here is the 1993 Bronco Dealer Brochure in Google Drive @ 93Bronco.pdf[/URL
1993 Bronco Dealer Training Video via member silver70 @
1993 Bronco, Venezuela Commercial @
Haynes Red Manual for 80-95 Bronco & F Series @ [URL='https://drive.google.com/file/d/1CRTb-rXWrSeXuzEbiaE8oDDrdgq-bkK6/view?usp=drivesdk']Hanes guide 80-96 bko f series.pdf
via member BroncMom

See How to add your Signature @ Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum by BigBlue 94

Our Forum FAQs includes for example; How To Upload Images To Posts, How to Use Search,
How To Edit A Post, How To Delete a Post, How To Find Your Content and more tips!

Baba Looey's Favorite FSB Links (lots and lots of tech links)including, "how do I get the tailgate glass to...", etc

Try to find time to participate and vote in our current Full-Size of the Month Contest & later in the year, Full-Size of the Year Contest @ Voting
You will get ideas by those competing.
Prizes are awarded to Winner; a full spread in Bronco Driver Magazine is the top prize, in addition to a years subscription, once the article is submitted; and a years worth of premium FSB membership!
Al

·
Man of endless projects
10,210 Posts
I have a 93 bronco 80mph speed limiter on mine had a 92 f150 brand new was exactly the same way.
the problem is that you are over 16 years too late for this

oh and despite what people are saying, there is a 'speed limiter' on the 96 trucks at least. couldnt tell ya on earlier years. and it different for 302 and 351 with the 351 getting the short end of the stick. one is based on RPM and the other is the transmission output speed. the RPM one is not much of an issue, it limits over 5k RPM but the shaft speed one is an issue.

because 96 use overdrive transmissions, the output shaft and driveshaft spin much faster than the RPM of the engine. but at the same time 'revs per mile' of the tires and the rear axle gear ratio also take a play in this.

this chart shows that for the 351, it will maintain full torque up to 4471 OSS (output speed shaft) and the 302 will maintain it till 4888 OSS. when over that the torque will be cut from the engine to the point you cannot go any faster.

With a E4OD trans that has a 0.71 OD ratio, im sure there is a formula for figuring out max speed based on axle gearing and tire size. but i know my 96 5.8 with stock gears and 33" tires refused to accelerate over 95mph. untill i changed my tune to allow it

Colorfulness Rectangle Slope Font Screenshot

·
Registered
824 Posts
No way! I had my '96 w/ the 351 at about 100 mph, fast as I'd ever want to go with that chassis
The speedo capped out at 85, I am extrapolating from how far past 85 on the gage it went and just feel

Anyone only going 80 mph should do a compression check or something....

1 - 20 of 30 Posts