Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
260 Posts
Umm, behind the plastic dash is metal bracing that don't give. I have smashed my knee into a plastic dash causing the plastic to break but that metal brace behind it really hurt the knee. Hopefully he will be wearing his seat belt so he would never hit the dash.

· Registered
260 Posts
Securing it would be simple. When you are laying out the new dash you should start with a frame that would bolt in the original spots and then if you are going to add a center console that ties into the dash you would secure it to the transmission tunnel.

I would start with some 1/2" to 1" wide flat bar to build a base that would connect to the firewall in the original mounts. Then use round stock to give you your curves and depth in the dash (weld to flat bar). Then it's pretty much using foam, wood, card board to design the layout of the dash you want. Once you get the look you want you can use fiberglass to mold the dash and secure it the the metal cage you built with the flat bar/round stock.

It's up to you in which order you do the dash layout or the metal cage. If you start with the layout make sure to remember it might get hard to add the metal later. Or you could just do it all it fiberglass without a metal cage as long as you glass enough structure support in the design.

If you do it take all lot of pictures and post them here so we all can see the progress. Also you can look in the Fab section to get some hints/ideals on how to make consoles, which could be applied to dash making.

Good Luck

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.