1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Banned
11,678 Posts
The correct way to take the '87-91 dash out is:
1) drop the column
2) pull the wiring connectors from the firewall into the cab
3) disconnect the HVAC cables & vacuum lines above the R footwell
4) remove the 2 braces above the hump
5) remove the bolts above each kick panel & the bolt from the top of the e-brake frame
6) remove the screws in front of the defrost register
7) pull the dash assembly off the firewall & out the passenger door
That rusty steel frame will stay with the colored dash skin.

yooman
Your '92-96 is very similar, but significantly different.

· Banned
11,678 Posts
Well i removed my dash to paint it and add insulation. I finally got it out after a few hours of fighting it. It was a learning experience. But i saw how much room that opened up. So I thought about maybe building my own dash. I can cut holes for my guages and make my own guage cluster. Also I can cut in for my ac and radio. It really doesnt seem like a hard project. Only part i am worried about is securing it to the body. The sheetmetal where the stock dash is connected to just doesnt seem sturdy enough. I was thinking about doing the dash after the roll cage. And i can use that to secure it and build from there. Is there any other suggestions?
There's a reason the attachment looks light - the dash should be, too. It shouldn't NEED 1/2" bolts to hold it up.

But you'll never build one that's as small, complete, cheap, & SAFE as the stock one. Remember that it has been designed not only to fit, to hold everything you need where you need it, but also NOT to kill you if you slam into it during a wreck. And since they made eleventy billion of them, you can pick them up in junkyards anywhere for a few bucks.

· Banned
11,678 Posts
So do you have any suggestions how to do it?
Yes: don't do anything that will prevent you from putting the stock one back in.

Have you ever built a flying model airplane, or a large-scale model boat? Have you ever upholstered anything? Have you ever worked with sheet metal? Do you weld?

If you answered NO to more than 2 of those, you're not ready for this project IMO. :shrug I've done a lot of serious interior mods to several vehicles, and I have yet to build a dash.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.