Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my Bronco last fall and now that spring is here i was thinking about pulling the top off tomorrow since it's supposed to be nice (also so i can check and clean the seals) But i was just talking to the old owner and he told me that there is something that happens when you break the seal......It never goes back on like it is supposed to and they always leak as a result.....????? Is this true or is there a trick?

·
Thanks 351w500
5,446 Posts
What he said is a bunch of BS pull the top off.You will find a lot of ??'s answered about it to if you run a search on it.

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
I was told the same thing. The guy said he never removed the top because the last owner never removed the top, and that I should never remove the top because it is guaranteed to leak. BS. I can now have it on or off in about 25 min. I take it off every nice day. I love it, and have not had any problems yet and it rains alot around here.

Here is a good thread about top removal it you have anymore questions.
http://fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23844&highlight=top+101

·
Registered
19 Posts
Yeah, Id love to take my hardtop off as well, and know all those rumors about the leaks are fals. Its just that Im too damned paranoid about the theft factor... You know what I mean?

·
Registered
315 Posts
Yeah, Id love to take my hardtop off as well, and know all those rumors about the leaks are fals. Its just that Im too damned paranoid about the theft factor... You know what I mean?
Which is why I haven't done it. I have 3 12 inch subs, and an amp id be worried about being taken. Anyone address this problem? I was thinking maybe a metal casing that bolts over it, with bolts that use a lock?

·
Registered
664 Posts
I bought my Bronco last fall and now that spring is here i was thinking about pulling the top off tomorrow since it's supposed to be nice (also so i can check and clean the seals) But i was just talking to the old owner and he told me that there is something that happens when you break the seal......It never goes back on like it is supposed to and they always leak as a result.....????? Is this true or is there a trick?
Mine had never been taken off before, and i still have not leaks after i took it off for the first time. I didn't even put any bolts back in it. I went to harbor freight and got qty 4 4" C clamps and put them on the 4 corners along the bed. Still no leaks. :rockon:rockon

Which is why I haven't done it. I have 3 12 inch subs, and an amp id be worried about being taken. Anyone address this problem? I was thinking maybe a metal casing that bolts over it, with bolts that use a lock?
Take it out. No one wants to listen to your boom shit anyway. :goodfinge

·
Driving Stuff Henry Built
-90 xlt, 351w, e4od, man 1356, 3.55, sag, warn hubs, 35s. -73, 400, np435, d20j twin, 35s
8,180 Posts
I think leaking after removing the top once was an Early Bronco issue, & the rumors continue. Part of why our FSBs are designed like they are where the top meets the cab is to prevent it. So far there's no leaks in mine after having the top off.

·
FJ80 Expedition Rig
1,461 Posts
look at Gacknar's setup for his subs, that should quell your theft worries. As for the head unit and such you could take the plunge and switch over to a tuffy center console with the stereo compartment. Its a lot of work but in terms of piece of mind it's worth it.

·
F.O.T.M. - MAY 2014!!!
6,250 Posts
If you search around you will find that some members have made boxes, used metal strap and bolted the speaker box down just so no one could walk away with it.

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
Mine came with two 12" subs in the back when I got it. I got rid of them because I didn't want them stolen. I just installed a kill switch so nobody can steal the truck and will be getting a Tuffy center console as soon as I have the cash for the stereo and any other valuables.

·
Local # 40 Boilermakers
15,785 Posts
I just dont leave my truck laying around topless in areas where I cant trust the people around me. Not that the locks will keep it safe either, just slow some one down.

·
Registered
331 Posts
locks only keep honest people out... my .357 keeps the others out... but if you had a welder and some scrap iron you can build a cage...

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I used to work at a mobile electronics store and we used to tell people "If someone wants it bad enought they will take it no matter what but, the harder you make it to get at it the more likly the thief will go somewhere else"....... what would you break into if you were a thief..... a vehicle with the alarms and straps holding everything down, a the other vehicle down the block with nothing stopping him

When i had a big stereo i had 2 alarms 1 with glass breakege dection, and the other with infreared motion both interfaced together, auto up on arming on the windows, pwr lock control 4 electroinic sirens, and one old siren (like whats on the front of a firetruck), digital shock and shaker sensors, (it was a pickup) instead of mercury switches on the hood and tailgate, i had pinswitches, and adjusted them so if the hood or tailgate slightly move at all the made the connection to make the alarm go off plus i had a trigger hooked to the radio in the dash so if you got past all that when you disconnected the radio the alarm went off, and last thing a battery backup on the alarms so if power was cut the alarms still worked, i also had the usuall stuff also fuel pump kill and starter kill.... I priced one time because somebody tried to tell me they wanted what i had and when we priced it it was like $1500 (back in 90) he said he wanted it but never came back to get it........ like i said make it such a pain in the @## that the thief goes somewhere else, most thiefs are just punks trying to get what you got , a professional could have gotten past what i had if he wanted it bad enough but i stopped the punk that just wanted something and didn't have the money for it

1 - 16 of 16 Posts