Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Teddy Bear
2,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A buddy and i are going to be pulling and completly repainting his dash, black, i saw this ColorBond paint in the back of the LMC catalouge and was wondering if i should go that route or if i sould go another route to achieve total blackness, any sugestions?

·
Registered
4,923 Posts
Yeah what material it is would help. Vinyl is easy to dye, I have found plastic hard to paint, and metal can be too if you fudge on the paint.

·
Practicing Infidel
15,309 Posts
VHT brand works well on the door panel vinyl

never tried it on the dash, but they make the same claims for the dash

make sure you finger oils are all cleaned off the dash and every grain of dirt is out of that fine corythian vinyl first though.

Sixlitre

·
Registered
251 Posts
I know a while back lots of people were using the Krylon Fusion spray paint. It's made for plastics and works really well. I did the interior except the front of the cab. It turned out really well. I'll see if I still have some pics of it.

·
Registered
8,390 Posts
B_Cheetah23 said:
I know a while back lots of people were using the Krylon Fusion spray paint. It's made for plastics and works really well. I did the interior except the front of the cab. It turned out really well. I'll see if I still have some pics of it.

I used alot of Krylon fusion, and really liked it...The only thing is that it doesnt look like it'll hold up as well as the others. Most everything I've done with fusion, I've gone back over with the VHT stuff.

Just my .02

·
Registered
251 Posts
yah i've had mine on there for about a year now and it's finally starting to lose some shine to it. So I'm thinking of redoing it or trying something else. But if you want something that'll last for about a year or so. That's all i was looking for then bc i kept my top off a lot. So now I'm going to pay for the better stuff

·
Registered
248 Posts
I would never use any kind of paint.
What you want is a product that will not build up and fill in the texture of the surface.
If you talk to a professional auto upholstery guy he will probably tell you that "SEM" vinyl dye is one of (if not the best) product.
SEM's "Landau Black" isn't too glossy and (if done properly). looks absolutely OEM.
After scrubbing the plastic or vinyl with a brush and plastic prep. rinse with plenty of water, then dry completely.
Now just before applying the vinyl dye, give it a quick wipe with acetone,
but don't soak it or wipe it too much or you will melt the plastic / vinyl and loose the grain texture. This will open the pores and allow the best adhesion.
This stuff is great, it soaks in and dries fast, also hides small scuffs and imperfections. You should do a re-coat after about one hour.
This stuff will look good for years and years.
The plastic prep can be bought at an automotive finishes supplier, or Castrol "Super Clean" could be substituted (I prefer the plastic prep cleaner because it's free rinsing)

In this pic, the dash pad, kick panels, passenger assist handle, and plastic gage pod were all restored this way.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts