Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So 2 weeks ago, my brother's car breaks down (88 Nissan 300zx). He's not very good with cars, so I work on it, and let him take my Bronco to work (across town). I get close to finishing his car, when he calls me and tells me he's broke down right off the freeway. I go get my truck and make him drive the my Pop's truck home. My truck was missing left and right and blowing black smoke everywhere.... I figure, "OK, he fouled some plugs.... probably hot rodding my baby." I decide to look at it the next day.

The next morning, I open the hood and pull and replace the plugs (needed it anyway). Start it, and it is still smoking and I notice smoke is coming from under the hood as well (and a lot of it). I find my EGR pipe snapped, but it is too late to get one from a yard, so I put it off. Next weekend, I get the pipe, and reassemble.... STILL SMOKING and running like shit.:banghead

I say OK... WTF? I get under the truck and have my Pop start it. The smoke was coming from inbetween my exhaust manifold and pipe on both sides... WTF? I have my pipe cut before the muffler anyway, so I decide to drop it. When I get it down, I see a honeycomb looking thing at the end of my pipe. My cats broke up and clogged the flow. So I gut the cats, but before I reassemble, I start it... STILL SMOKING from both manifolds and running like shit.:banghead

I adjust the distributor, thinking the timing is off. It helps a bit, but not much, so I start thinking main timing... I pull it all down and break one of the water pump bolts (DAMNIT!). The timing cover was stuck on because of the bolt, so after about 40 minutes of trying to get it off, I bend it until it breaks. Once it was off, it didn't take a genius to see what the problem was. The gears were missing teeth, and the chain was very loose (barely on the teeth). I need a new timing cover before I reassemble, but hopefully I'm done. Wish me luck...:cry

·
Registered
410 Posts
Crazy story man. What in the hell could break teeth off a timing gear?! Glad to hear you found the problem (and repaired some others in the process).

·
Registered
490 Posts
1986 im thinking alot of miles on it so when the chain slipped it took out the teeth. have fun. if you have a vbelt setup i have a brand new timing chain cover i bought before my serpentine conversion which im thinking of selling. If you have serpentine. cheapest place i found for the serpentine one was rockauto.com and use the 5% discount. i tried to order one from ebay but i canceled the order since it was goign to take weeks. dont waste your time get it from a company. i lost 2 weeks that way. change the water pump why you have it all a part and thermostate. make sure the dots on the pulley are lined up since you lost teeth. and youll need a claw type pullet to remove the bottom pulley with the teeth. i think i still have the all the pictures in my superford site.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
equivalent said:
1986 im thinking alot of miles on it so when the chain slipped it took out the teeth. have fun. if you have a vbelt setup i have a brand new timing chain cover i bought before my serpentine conversion which im thinking of selling. If you have serpentine. cheapest place i found for the serpentine one was rockauto.com and use the 5% discount. i tried to order one from ebay but i canceled the order since it was goign to take weeks. dont waste your time get it from a company. i lost 2 weeks that way. change the water pump why you have it all a part and thermostate. make sure the dots on the pulley are lined up since you lost teeth. and youll need a claw type pullet to remove the bottom pulley with the teeth. i think i still have the all the pictures in my superford site.
Yeah... its got quite a few on it. Luckily, it doesn't burn oil (used to leak out of the valve covers, but I took care of that during this whole process). The oil pressure it starting to go down though :doh0715:, so one of these days, I'm gotta replace the oil pump...

I've already got a new timing cover... Ordered it, shipped next day, got it yesterday. $44 bucks shipped isn't bad :rockon. I'm hoping to finish it tonight. Saturday is the day I'm going to Utah to pay my respects, and I'd prefer to have this all done by then. Here's hoping...:thumbup

·
Registered
490 Posts
Jt8786 said:
Yeah... its got quite a few on it. Luckily, it doesn't burn oil (used to leak out of the valve covers, but I took care of that during this whole process). The oil pressure it starting to go down though :doh0715:, so one of these days, I'm gotta replace the oil pump...

I've already got a new timing cover... Ordered it, shipped next day, got it yesterday. $44 bucks shipped isn't bad :rockon. I'm hoping to finish it tonight. Saturday is the day I'm going to Utah to pay my respects, and I'd prefer to have this all done by then. Here's hoping...:thumbup
took me 2hrs first time. the rest of the fords ive done took me 1 1/2. more fords you do. faster it goes. i got lucky though. bolts havent broken.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Bit of an update...

Got it all back together today (except exhaust). Still puffing black smoke....

Pulled codes and got:

18 - SPOUT
31 - PFE, EVP, or EVR
63 - Tp Circuit

I've got no idea what they are. This is beyond frustrating now....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.