Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The NP205 in my in my 81 bronco has a crack in it. The crack is from an over zealous mechanic, tightening a nut too much.
The bolt is on the bottom of the case pointing up towards the sky, I don't think it is the case drain plug, but it can be used to do it. Inside the bolt, more correctly held in by the bolt, is a spring and plunger type arrangement.
The crack is about 1/2" long heading skyward. The crack is allowing a slow drip of fluid to continuosly empty the case, over 6weeks or so, unless I'm towing and then the drip is a lot faster.
My question can the crack be repaired by welding, with the case still in the vehicle? Or is there an alternative?
Transfer cases, as with everything bronco, here in Australia are not cheap, otherwise I'd just replace it outright.

Thanks
Josh

·
Sneaky Ba$tard
2,982 Posts
I don't think that could be welded but I could be wrong. Theres a guy down there whoose screen name is Gremlin, he's a pretty good bronco guy, has fabbed up all kinds of stuff for his bronco, he might be able to help you find a replacement case or come up with a suitable repair. I'll try to find a link to his site, if nothing else you should see his homebrew extended radius arms. their Pretty sweet
http://gremlin.users.superford.org

Good luck--Fog

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Are you sure that it's a 205? The 81s should have 208s stock.

It sounds like the plug in question is holding a detent ball in place. I wouldn't imagine that there is a huge load on it... if you prepped the area, you should be able to drill out the end of the crack and TIG it shut. It's worth a try, anyway.

Short of that, maybe you could find somebody stateside to ship you an empty case half. You'd just have to swap your guts into the new case. I wouldn't imagine that shipping would be much -- maybe $30-40, depending on weight.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had the 208 in the bronc when I bought it, attached to an aod which I burnt out D and OD. In order to get the 4x4C6 the mechanic had to also get the 205, which he then cracked which remained unknown to me for quite a while. Not a happy camper.
I'm eyeing of a few bits and pieces from a site I was given on another post I had running. It may well be the easiest, but in the mean time I'd like to stop the leak. I've been banished from the driveway until i stop leaving stains.

Josh

1 - 6 of 6 Posts