Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So it finally happened.

Occasionally my truck would often not start unless I pushed the column shift hard left into park probably activating the neutral safety switch. The gear indicator never lined up correctly and there was always a lot of slow in it when driving. The not starting became more frequent and yesterday it stranded me in the pharmacy drive thru. In the process of putting it into park over and over and harder and harder something broke inside. Im thinking its the selector tube. The gear shift can move freely up and down with no resistance and is still connected to the gear indicator needle (which also can move from P to 1 with no resistance while driving). I was able to trace the shifting mechanism to the Transmission Selector Lever Arm and Support under the dash and now Im shifting my truck like that just to get to and from work. I found the hex bolts that were pretty loose when I was under there which was probably my initial problem, but I made that way worse by forcing things.

Next week I have the week off for my boys February vacation (Im divorced and its my week). From what I've read, it sounds like the column will have to be rebuilt to get to the tube and from looking at Steve's page and the column diagram it looks pretty labor intensive. I can fix some things, and try to do what I can but I wanted to get your opinion on this repair. Is it as difficult as it looks to replace the tube (I have an airbag and tilt column) if that's the problem? I need a vehicle for next week and can drive it like this for now but I don't want to take this whole thing apart and be stuck and not able to take my sons places. Looks like a mechanic job to me but who knows.
thanks

·
Super Moderator
9,700 Posts
the shift tube is not difficult. However if you have trouble with the ignition switch, that is deep inside the column and is somewhat a pain to fix. An easier and likely cheaper alternative is to hit the junk yard and find any 90s ford and pull the entire column and relace the whole thing. Any will work that have the push button control on the gear shift. Explorers, Broncos, F150, F250, Vans. Most will work. Just take the entire thing, put your wheel on it, or if you like the wheel on it just use that.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you. Unfortunately there is only one junk yard within hours of me and they have no broncos. I may just buy the tube and see what i can do. Anyone sell an aftermarket aluminum shifter thats stronger than the stock plastic one? Any recommendations on a sturdy shifter tube? Thanks again!

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, im going to order it and give it a shot. I can return the milemarker hub conversion kit i ordered from them and didnt need. Thanks guys

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That tube looks aluminum. I dont think i was pushing on the plastic gear shift level enough to twist that tube enough to break. Are there any plastic pieces connecting the shift lever to the tube or tube to the selector lever arm under the dash (at the end of the tube)? Its hard for me to see detail on the diagram i have. Autozones out of stock in my area, of course

·
Registered
379 Posts
the shift lever is aluminum, I know because I broke mine ! you will have to remove it also, but it's just a knock out pin that holds it. the only plastic in there is the bushings and the tube comes with new ones.

·
Registered
504 Posts
steve83 and mikeceli got the ticket on this one. just dive in, pay attention, and replace the worn out parts with new ones. i converted my auto column to a bare column in about an hour while i was doing the conversion to a manual trans. its real simple stuff to work on.
and the "new" parts are typically just old stock. its worth doing right if its worth doing at all.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I was able to find a used shifter tube and plunger set up on ebay for $40 and sure enough, my tube was snapped in half. I replaced everything and tightened it all up and it works like a charm. Now when Im in drive it actually points to "D" and there is zero slop in the gear shift. What a difference it is to drive now. Now its time to fix that clunking under my floorboards. Thanks for all your help.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Apparently, neither of you read those captions. :shrug The first one describes the revised parts that are available from Ford, Dorman...
Not sure what I'm missing Steve but I can't read any captions via that link that tell me anything about the tube. The link is for the Crown Vic? I'd like to know more specifically about these revised parts.

I found this on the net searching around for prices and info.....can anyone confirm that it's more substantial than whatever else is available today?

http://www.techsmartparts.com/Smart+Solutions-Steering+Column+Shift+Tubes/Content.aspx

1 - 14 of 14 Posts