Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got the 86 mobile yesterday. Checked the fluids so I could drive it to the exhaust shop today, found the rear was empty. Thought it was odd, but filled it up. Drove it down the road, seemed good parked it and waited for daylight today. Went out this morning for a trip to the exhaust shop, about 1 pint of gear oil was on the ground by my driver rear tire. I'm assuming axle seal is bad. Never done a 9", I'm reading I pull the axle by 4 bolts on outer flange, then MUST press off bearing to replace seal and of course new bearing and race in the tube? Sound right? What's the best seal? I have a good local bearing supplier (cheap, Timkin normally), anyone know the part number on the 86 9"?

Thanks

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Apparently I'm correct.. I'm having the exhaust shop that I dropped it at today do it, I wouldn't be able to get to it until next week, and want to drive this thing before then.

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
7,069 Posts
9" bearing, race, seal, and retainer all get installed on the axle shaft before it goes into the axle. There is a collar on the axle shaft that will hold all of this on, this part typically requires a press to install. I usually cut the old ones off.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
$120 parts and labor today.. I can live with that..

Picking it up in a few hours.. Hot damn

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
7,069 Posts
that is a decent deal, Last one I did I had almost 100 in just parts, especially by the time I put gear lube back in it

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah I could have done it myself and saved some, but then I wouldn't be able to drive it until next week.. I think the worst part is I lost two quarts of fresh synthetic gear oil I just put in it two days ago LOL.

I also had them put 1 extended brake line on the front that I could not the get old line loose on.

The exhaust shop also ran 2.5" pipes from my headers to a 3" merge, back to a Cherry bomb with dual 2.5" out to tail pipes out behind the tires. I will get a video clip of that up tomorrow if it stops raining here. I provided the muffler.

Total cost for all parts and work, $316. Totally satisified.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Picked this truck up from getting the axle seal done.. It's making a clicking sound from the axle area.. Ideas? Fluid is full in differential. Wondering if the bearing is bad, or they didn't replace the race or what? I'll be calling them tomorrow, just looking for ideas if anyone has heard one do that.

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
Check to see if the lugs are tight.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks will do. I'm also wondering if perhaps a U-joint took a dump, this shop has always performed quality work for me. I'll investigate tomorrow and update.

I should note on the trip home, it felt like more rear vibrate than when I drove it there, mind you I've only drive the truck twice since getting it and putting the engine in - to the shop, and then home.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Glad I had faith in my shop.. Turns out my driveshaft joints and the pivot ball up front are demolished. They were fine the first 5 miles the truck was drove in 3 years.. The second 5 miles did it in. Probably dried out and abused. All 3 joints are toast and the pivot ball up front is damaged. Luckily there's a parts 84 truck local I'm picking up a driveshaft for $40 in a few hours. Should be on the road tomorrow. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So I got a replacement driveshaft in and am on the road for a minimum cost. This driveshaft has had the double cardone knuckle removed, so it's strapped on both ends. I'd like to rebuilt my stock shaft, I need 3 ujoints and the moog608 I believe - the swivel. Any place sell a kit? What's the best ujoints to go with, spicer? Are all 3 4800 or what on the rear shaft joints? Looking to gather up pieces to do it. Thanks.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So after having a shop replace this seal, I see it's leaking still. I plan on swinging it back by the shop to have them check it again. What's the chances that the axle housing is damaged? Is this common on a 9", if so is it repairable? I'd like to avoid sourcing a new rear end.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Not for my 86 it isn't, i have the style where the seal is outside the bearings, that won't fit in my axle housing

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I checked my vent tube just now,.looks like the little breather piece was clogged up. I removed breather and clamped it back up on gas tank. if that caused my new seals to seep, will they reseal now that pressure csn be relieved, or am I likely going to need a new seal again?

·
Premium Member
23,563 Posts
Not for my 86 it isn't, i have the style where the seal is outside the bearings, that won't fit in my axle housing
You didn't read it right.

That seal goes behind the bearing race in the axle housing. Then you grease the roller tapered bearing. You retain the seal that is between the bearing as the wheel flange.

You now have two seals installed. One keeps the oil in the axle and the grease on the bearings. The outer one keeps the grease in the bearing and dust out.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I thought it only fit certain axle housings though, I must not have read it right then. I'll look into it some more thanks

·
Premium Member
1,712 Posts
I had an axle leak after repairs. The bearing was NOT pressed on far enough. Pressed the bearing on further and the problem was solved. I can't remember why, but a shop had pressed the bearing on for me during some kind of repairs. I had to "makeshift" press the bearing the last 1/8th" or so to solve my leaking problem.

hth
tim

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks Tim, I'll inspect it when I install this inner bearing. I'm hoping unplugging my vent tube will 'reseal' the housing, if not, I'll be into it in a few weeks.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I installed the inner seal as Jopes suggested.. Seems leak free so far. Thanks

1 - 20 of 22 Posts