Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
In Front of Jopes
3,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Along with replacing the PS pump with a Saginaw unit, but what is the best steering box to replace the stock one with? The 78-79s have a saginaw steering box if I am correct and the later model boxes are weaker.
Mine has to be replaced down the road because it has some play.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
80-96 is also a saginaw box. i've never heard of anyone having issues with the 80 up box that they wouldn't have had with another box (like snapping the sector shaft from hitting something hard with real big tires)

Ford used the same steering box on everything from BII's and rangers through f-350 duallies.

If you're really worried about the box tap it for ram assit and go from there.

Justin

·
Premium Member
3,991 Posts
Look at Read Head Gears in Seattle.

I have had good success with them and my new steering box is as tight as can be, along with a Borgeson Upper Steering shaft. They can even custom rebuild your box to your specifications. Call them to explain your particulars.

http://www.redheadsteeringgears.com/

·
Registered
390 Posts
"Ford used the same steering box on everything from BII's and rangers through f-350 duallies."

Actually, the f250s of some years use a different box. It has 4 bolts on the top instead of 2. Mounting is the same, but the fittings are a little different. You can do a search here and find the conversion process. It's supposed to be a little stronger. It's what I did on mine when I replaced the box.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts