Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Urban Assault Bronco
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what gives? what did i do wrong? btw i am throwing codes that i will be getting checked tomorrow

·
Registered
193 Posts
Did ya remove battery cable before pluggin' in the new unit? Computer memmory maybe? Just a thought mind ya, i'm still learning the system and trying to get my idle stable also.

·
Premium Member
23,563 Posts
How about you stop throwing parts at it and diagnios the real problem.

And wtf u working on?

·
Premium Member
23,563 Posts
How about you stop throwing parts at it and diagnios the real problem.

And wtf u working on?

·
Urban Assault Bronco
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
lol sorry jopes. its my 92 E150 conversion van, with a 302. based on all the threads i read on here it seemed to be highly likely it would be the tps sensor (high idle irratic trans shifting, etc). so i replaced it, and viola nothing, no change... although i never did unhook the battery.

·
green ones make me horny
11,155 Posts
That is not neccesarily true that it is your TPS. why throw a part at it when you have codes to read. do you have a 6 inch piece of wire? if so then go out and read the codes and come back and let us know what they are. search around on how to do that.

·
Premium Member
10,000 Posts
X a billion for "pulling fault codes" from the computer, it's your first line of diagnostic defense so get an OBD-1 or OBD-2 Ford Code Reader with diagnostic and code numbers and explanations, costs $29.99 at O'Reillys.

A high idle could mean several things, a dirty or failing IAC = idle air control valve, located on the right side of the throttle body which can be removed and cleaned in a few minutes to improve idle, TPS = throttle position sensor, here you need to make sure when installing the TPS you "ENGAGE THE TANGES" (plastic nubs) that are inside the spring loaded ring in the center so they enagage the END of the THROTTLE BODY SHAFT OR the TPS won't function properly, ECT= engine cooling temp sensor located in the front part of the lower intake manifold, manages fuel at cold start and normal operation, check condition or voltage level but all of these sensors are related/important at "cold start".

It could just be a clogged/old PCV = positive crankcase ventilation filter usually located either in a valve cover and air filter box or both.

Another source of high idle could be vacuum leak in the emissions system or with the EGR sensor...do a visual inspection of ALL rubber and plastic vacuum lines to see what condition they're in and replace or repair them.

Addtional tech sources:

www.broncolinks.com
www.fordfuelinjection.com

Good Luck ~

·
Urban Assault Bronco
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok the codes never came up untill AFTER i replaced the TPS. I gotta go there tomorrow so i will get the codes pulled when i get the code puller thing

·
Registered
84 Posts
ok the codes never came up untill AFTER i replaced the TPS. I gotta go there tomorrow so i will get the codes pulled when i get the code puller thing
Run the engine and spray around the motor with brake cleaner. When the speed changes, you found your vacuum leak. The IAC regulates the idle speed by increasing and decreasing the amount of air allowed to enter the engine. When it is bypassed (vacuum leak or pressing on the throttle) then the speed of the motor changes.

·
Premium Member
10,000 Posts
I've never had any success spraying areosol fluids when the engine is running to check for leaks BUT if you were, "starter fluid" or "propane" might be better as opposed to brake fluid but I think it's dangerous, fire hazard you know...:doh0715:

Clear codes then drive it around a bit and re-check to see what "faults" are indicated currently and any re-occuring "continuous memory" codes...proceed from there.

Good Luck ~ :thumbup

1 - 10 of 10 Posts