Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
0 to hero in 94563.1 sec
801 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
on my 79 f150 i have 3 of the oem white spoke rims and a crappy steelie, I know the rims have P235/70/R15 's on them but i need to know how you measure the rim cause LMC truck listes the replacements in two sizes
15" X 8"
and
15" X 10"

how do i know which one i need?

·
Rest in Peace Friend...
611 Posts
colinlesser said:
on my 79 f150 i have 3 of the oem white spoke rims and a crappy steelie, I know the rims have P235/70/R15 's on them but i need to know how you measure the rim cause LMC truck listes the replacements in two sizes
15" X 8"
and
15" X 10"

how do i know which one i need?
Take a look at this http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Spec.jsp?make=Winterforce&model=M+S&partnum=375SR5WFORCEXL&vehicleSearch=true&fromCompare1=yes&place=0

Also, here if you want to look at different options. http://www.tirerack.com/tires/

If you ar going to put on 12.5 wide tires the 10" will be better.

·
RIP Spring Creek Off Road
6,012 Posts
BrokeCuzWheelin said:
You probably have 15x8. Could be even be narrower with that small of tire on it, but 15x8 is the common size. You DO NOT have 15x10 if you only have 235/70R15 tires
:stupid or a 15x7 even.... most people with 12.5 inch wide tires still run 8 inch wide rims.... i'd bet money that you don't have a 15x10

·
Rest in Peace Friend...
611 Posts
bigbroncojeff said:
:stupid or a 15x7 even.... most people with 12.5 inch wide tires still run 8 inch wide rims.... i'd bet money that you don't have a 15x10
You can mount 12.5s on a 15 x 8 I've even heard of some people squeezing them on 15 x 7, but that voids the manufacturer warrantee because all manufacturers of 33 x 12.5 x15 tires specifify 8.5 as the minimum rim width. Which simply means that you are on you own legally. So, if you are out on the trail or on the road and you pop a bead, loses control, crash your truck and someone is seriously injured or killed as a result they are free and clear of liability. A street wise tire shop will not install tires on wheels that are not within the manufacturer specs because that makes them legally liable.

Colinlesser, I guess we didn't answer your question. I believe that Ford stock rims for that size tire is 15 x 7. So it depends on what you are planning on doing. If you are just looking for a single wheel to replace the missing one then your best bet is a junk yard and as previously stated by redwagon, the wheel should have the size stamped into it. If you are getting a whole new set and plan on changing the tire size, then get the 8 or 10 depending on what tires you are going to mount. Just look at the manufacturer specs for the tire at the web site I gave you above.

Just a bit of trivia. The wheel is the entire metal part the tire mounts on. The rim is the edge of the wheel that the bead locks into. So 8 inches is the width between the two rims of the 15 inch diameter wheel.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Is a 93' rim 15/7 or 15/8?

I am looking for new tires and can get 33" x 12.5" for the same price as 32" x 11.5" , But am not sure if I want to buy new wheels.

Thanks,
Chris

·
Engineer
13,165 Posts
Seabronc, if you blow the bead on a 12.5 inch wide tire mounted on a 7 inch rim you've got more problems than a lawsuit. On a 15x10 it's not to difficult to blow the bead on a 33x12.5 if you air them down but they look really good. 33's on a 15x8 wouldnt be bad, lots of guys run 35x12.5's on 15x8's no problems

·
Rest in Peace Friend...
611 Posts
QUOTE=ToddACimer]Seabronc, if you blow the bead on a 12.5 inch wide tire mounted on a 7 inch rim you've got more problems than a lawsuit. On a 15x10 it's not to difficult to blow the bead on a 33x12.5 if you air them down but they look really good. 33's on a 15x8 wouldnt be bad, lots of guys run 35x12.5's on 15x8's no problems[/QUOTE]

I'm in full agreement with you, I have my 33's on 8" rims. People run 33 x 12.5s on 15 x 7 with no problem. That doesn't change the fact that if you do something outside the manufacturer specs, you are on your own legally. I only inserted that comment as a, "for what it is worth" to the reader not to say,"they are obliged to stay inside the manufacturer specs" . The reason why manufacturers go to such great extent to make sure they tell you what the specs are is to fend off legal responsibility, it's called, Cover Your Ass . People do a lot of different things with no problem, but now and then some one gets hurt and the first thing they think of is a lawyer, so the manufacturers have to protect their profits.

:thumbup

1 - 10 of 10 Posts