Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read everything I can find and I have a question. My 1990 has a Ford 8.8 rear axle in it and everything I read says that there are different lengths for the right and left side, which seems to me indicates that the differential is not centered in the axle, it is offset some. I have read that I can replace with a Ford 9 out of an 86 Bronco, and as I read, this has equal length shafts on eithere side, which means that the differential is centered on the shaft. So, how could this work, seems like once I bolted up, the yoke would not be centered on the drive shaft with he Ford 9?

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
7,735 Posts
The yoke doesn't have to be centered. It can be off from side to side as well, the driveshaft will not care.
The 9" does have the same length shafts from side to side, at least Bronco 9" rear axles do.

I can confirm that you will be ok, as I have a 92 that now has a 9" out back. It works great. I did not do anythign special, except remove the flange style mount from the shaft at the axle end as so I can just use a yoke and straps.

·
Super Moderator
5,167 Posts
Hey ou_man,
I just swapped the 8.8" in my '85 out for a 9". If the 8.8" diff was offset, it wasn't by much and invisible to the naked eye unless you knew what you were looking for.

It's a direct swap.

The only thing that didn't work was the sway bar. The tubes are different, so the 8.8" rear sway bar won't bolt to the 9". If you have the sway bar for the 9", that'd help.
Otherwise, I left mine off. I intended to rework it and hook it back up, but after 8 months of driving with the 9", I simply cannot tell the difference with it gone.

I think the only other issue I had was the pad/spacer for the 8.8" had an alignment peg that was slightly larger than the hole on the 9" housing. I had to open it up just a bit. Maybe 1/16".

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
7,735 Posts
The Original Poster has a 1990, the diff sensor is only for the rabs (i think). it has a sensor at the tcase even if e4od truck, should be fine.
There are re-location kits available too though, to move that up the the rear of the tcase too.

Reactions: Yellowcard

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Correct, my vss is in the transfer case and will do away with the rear break control in the current differential.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts