Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a blown engine and need to replace it. What year and models would be a direct bolt up to my 89 XLT stock 302? I have the AOD tranny, not sure if there is more info I need to provide for your answers to be accurate. Your help is greatly appreciated!

:popc1:

·
green ones make me horny
11,154 Posts
1989 would be your best bet. but i believe a 302 is a 302 is a 302 you know what i mean

·
Registered
9,895 Posts
any 302 that was Fuel injected and not Mass air.. :thumbup

·
Premium Member
10,000 Posts
Are you going to rebuild the original long block or swap in a new one, it's not that hard but do a little homework before hand so you don't get any surprises during the project..........lol lol.....

I would either take pictures or make a video of what everything looks in the engine bay before, how and where everything is connected and you'll have that to refer to...I used blue painters and inventoried/labeled every M/F connector so when installing the new long block it made hooking everything very easy...

Make sure you understand how to"stab" a distributor correctly...otherwise it won't fire up for you...very easy to do....

You can check my videos on the engine swap from 2008, www.supermotors/net17406 dtd Aug & Sept 08...you may have to click on "my flip video library" and scroll etc.
You'll notice the assmebly line I had for re-using all parts, cleaning, painting etc..plastic sandwich bags that you can write on are excellent for keeping track of everything in their perspective parts group, ie: FI plenum and bolts, mounting brackets and bolts, etc. etc.....

Carefully disconnect the battery FIRST...lol lol then begin to disconnect the partial harness on top, laying it over on the drivers side fender out of the way and when you're ready to re-connect again, look it over for any damage or chaffing and clean and repair to insure good continuity....

If you need engine buildlers to compare prices, try these two.

L & R Automotive Services in Santa fe Springs, CA ~ Derek Ranney
*where I got my new 302 long block for $1,575.00 plus refundable core exchange of $175.00 tell him your a FSB member and I sent you...

Vellios Automotive Machine Shop in Lawndale, CA ~ closer to my home but didn't discover them until after L & R, had small work done there and have a good reputation...

With smaller shops like these, offer to pay CASH no matter who you use and you may get a better price like I did no tax etc...

Crate motors are also a great way to go but may be priceier.....somebody here mentioned something like West Coast Performance or Coast Performance...where they got a 302 EFI with GT 40 heads for under $2,000.00 I accidently deleted the PM from a SOCAL guy here....

There's tons of threads here on this, including mine so search and collect as much data and you'll be a Wiz...

Good Luck ~ :thumbup

·
Registered
192 Posts
I think he's going to the boneyard and pulling a complete engine.

In which case, look for a 87-93 for everything to work right as far as brackets, alternators, etc. Personally I like to upgrades while I'm "doing it anyway" So I would find a 96-01 Exploder and take it's 5.0 4g alt, MAF, 65mm TB, etc. But that's me.

·
Registered
710 Posts
yep, you'll be fine with just about any 302. You may have to swap your "extras" onto it, but that won't be bad. As far as I know the Heads are the only thing that changed in certain years, so you may have to have your heads reworked and put on it.

The cam changed from certain years as well, and gave a different ignition firing sequence, but as long as you know what the firing order is you're fine.

While you've got that engine out and getting it ready to drop in, go ahead and replace some stuff on it that will be hard later, water pump, timing chain and sprockets, as well as give it a head job. Not only will all that junk be done while it's super easy to get to but it doesn't cost much and when you get the heads off you can see what kind of shape the cylinder is in.

just my 2 cents though.

·
Registered
9,895 Posts
Hey Chris.. How is this all turning out for ya?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts