Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Biebs Ain't BabyDaddy!
11,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to drain and replace all the fluids in the bronco tomorrow.

Today I picked up 6 qts of 10w30 synthetic. I also am going to change power steering, transmission, and differential fluids. I've been looking through my Haynes manual, and call me crazy, but I am not seeing how much transmission fluid I need to buy. How much tranny fluid do I need? Also, what do yall recommend I use for the transfer case?

Thanks

·
has no skidplate
4,320 Posts
I'm going to drain and replace all the fluids in the bronco tomorrow.

Today I picked up 6 qts of 10w30 synthetic. I also am going to change power steering, transmission, and differential fluids. I've been looking through my Haynes manual, and call me crazy, but I am not seeing how much transmission fluid I need to buy. How much tranny fluid do I need? Also, what do yall recommend I use for the transfer case?

Thanks
hmm, the haynes should say, i believe it depends on the transmission, when i did the E40Ds at work it took a shitton

·
Biebs Ain't BabyDaddy!
11,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I found it. It says 16.2 to 17.7 Quarts. That IS a shitton.

·
Lick my balls
13,023 Posts
Just tell the old lady not to spit, if she loves you:toothless:histerica

That also includes the torque converter, but yeah, it's a lot.

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,025 Posts
Won't take nearly that unless you drain the torque convertor. If you don't expect to need about 8 qts.

your motor should call for 5W-30 if a 351.

Tcase takes the same tranny fluid, but if you want, you could go with synthetic if you don't plan on draining it much, only takes about 2 qts. Power steering I just use regular PS fluid, this is usually a very neglected area so it's good of you to flush and fill. and finally, unless you tow 75or 80w-90 gear oil front/rear is what you need, front will be about 2 qts, rear close to 3 and if you have a limited slip, buy the tube of friction modifier.

·
Biebs Ain't BabyDaddy!
11,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
any idea how MUCH power steering fluid I'll need? I'd imagine no more than a quart but the Haynes Manual doesn't say exactly how much I'll need either. I'm just trying to save a few trips to advance.

Thanks for all the help! It's tough to get a straight answer out of this book sometimes.

·
~*~*~*~*~*~*~
10,123 Posts
At about $3 to $4 a quart times that by 17 and thats roughly about $50 to $70 in fluids. You'll have better results if you take your truck in to have your trans flushed. Won't get that smelly fuild all over the place and gets "everything" including the torque converter too. Well worth taking that portion of your fluid change in to have done. You can find an oil change place to do it for about the same money that you would spend doing it yourself. I had mine done for $59.99. This is one thing I do and believe me I don't like anybody putting their hands on my truck. Plus thats alot of fluid to take back in to have recycled, it'll already be at the right place to be recycled.

·
Biebs Ain't BabyDaddy!
11,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
and yall are right about the tranny flush. It's easier and just as expensive to take it to the shop down the street and have them do it and replace the filter.

·
~*~*~*~*~*~*~
10,123 Posts
and yall are right about the tranny flush. It's easier and just as expensive to take it to the shop down the street and have them do it and replace the filter.
The only thing about the flush is that they won't replace the filter. The flush is much better than the drain and refill. Not sure about the e4od but most filters for transmissions are just screens anyways. I know the c6 is and thats the sister trans to the e4od.

·
a renegade of funk
3,241 Posts
:smilie_slap NO!:goodfinge
i can't stand them
we have to were them:doh0715:

i would change the filter and fluid once, drive it for a bit then swap em again.
safer on you shit and a little cheaper:thumbup

·
has no skidplate
4,320 Posts
we have to were them:doh0715:
have to wear them where?
my boss made no such mandate, bring on the cancer:rofl: the pores on my hands would become blackened with oil and stay that way for a looooong time. even when i wore the gloves they would just get shredded and become pointless

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
I'm hearing the trans flush places are using the same tranny fluid for any trans undergoing the flush. The machine recycle the fluid through a filter and it goes into the next customer's trans.

Do these shops actually use new trans fluid of the appropriate type to refill the trans?

Anyone have experience in this process?

·
Lick my balls
13,023 Posts
At about $3 to $4 a quart times that by 17 and thats roughly about $50 to $70 in fluids. You'll have better results if you take your truck in to have your trans flushed. Won't get that smelly fuild all over the place and gets "everything" including the torque converter too. Well worth taking that portion of your fluid change in to have done. You can find an oil change place to do it for about the same money that you would spend doing it yourself. I had mine done for $59.99. This is one thing I do and believe me I don't like anybody putting their hands on my truck. Plus thats alot of fluid to take back in to have recycled, it'll already be at the right place to be recycled.
How do you figure it costs the same? If it costs the same, then that means they use , in my opinion, substandard or cheap fluid. I know I can change my tranny fluid for about 35 -40 bucks, tops, with a filter included and while I'm there, I am also greasing any and all grease nipples and visually inspecting everything.

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,025 Posts

it won't be $3-4 a quart unless he's using synthetic, and you won't have better results unless the shop actually takes more care than you would. these days you get someone that knows very little about your vehicle or vehicles in gerneral and they just let the machine do whatever based on model year, motor size and tranny.

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,025 Posts
I'm hearing the trans flush places are using the same tranny fluid for any trans undergoing the flush. The machine recycle the fluid through a filter and it goes into the next customer's trans.

Do these shops actually use new trans fluid of the appropriate type to refill the trans?

Anyone have experience in this process?
Who knows??????? avoid this flush BS. trust me.

go under your truck and do a simple fluid change yourself if you know what you're doing. My truck will never see some dang flush, about as likely as me getting an enema. I will say that my tranny gets done about every 18k, no drop of torque convertor fluid.

134k on my E4OD and counting.....

·
a renegade of funk
3,241 Posts
have to wear them where?
my boss made no such mandate, bring on the cancer:rofl: the pores on my hands would become blackened with oil and stay that way for a looooong time. even when i wore the gloves they would just get shredded and become pointless
go work at a dealership, its a hole new ball game.

im with shadowfox on this
the flush machine can bring the hurt.:thumbup

·
Registered
4,684 Posts
have to wear them where?
You're supposed to replace them as soon as you get a hole in them.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts