Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I plan on changing the heads on my 95' 351w soon. Im going to try putting gt40 heads on it. When I finally delve into it, what should I look out for? Should I go ahead and replace the rockers and push rods or reuse the stock ones? Also as far as the cylinders go, what kind of inspection should I do, or clean up of them? Anything else I should look into?

·
Registered
155 Posts
If I was gonna install gt40s id put a set of roller rockers, new push rods, lifters, the whole nine... your already in there. Cylinder inspection? how many miles are on bottom end? Stock valve springs are only rated up to .500 lift or so, idk what cam your running, longer rockers increase your lift. U can buy a set of aluminum gt40 reproductions on ebay with valves and springs for $600. as far as clean up, you u can roll the crank with heads off and clean tops of pistons while your in there.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Being a 95 theres a chance its a roller motor. if not though id put roller cam and lifters in it. youll be able to tell if its a roller motor once intake is off, itll have dog bones interlinkin the lifters. I belive if your block is labeled F4TE its roller motor.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
joe8mx;4909409Cylinder inspection? how many miles are on bottom end? as far as clean up said:
I was gathering a parts list last night and the cost of what I would like to do is a little too much for me right now. At this point I'm going to take my heads off and take them to a shop for inspection and a leak test. The reason I want to take them off is because my exhaust manifold bolts on my passenger side head are all screwed up and before my manifold falls off, I need to get them fixed.

My engine has 100k on it and I'm not sure if it's a roller or not, I'm not even sure what that is but I will look into it later.

By cylinder inspection I meant what would normal wear and tear on it look like? I'll clean the piston tops to when I get in there.

One day I will put gt40's or other heads on it and when I do I'll look into intakes as well. When I get the heads off now, I'll put new rocker arms and push rods in if I need to.

·
~*~*~*~*~*~*~
10,085 Posts
If I was gonna install gt40s id put a set of roller rockers, new push rods, lifters, the whole nine...
It's funny how people love to spend others money........

Being a 95 theres a chance its a roller motor.
As long as it's the original, it will be a roller motor.

I belive if your block is labeled F4TE its roller motor.
Again, as long as it's the original, it will be a F4TE roller motor.

The reason I want to take them off is because my exhaust manifold bolts on my passenger side head are all screwed up and before my manifold falls off, I need to get them fixed.
Did you break off the bolts in the head??

My engine has 100k on it and I'm not sure if it's a roller or not, I'm not even sure what that is but I will look into it later.
This is the valley of a roller motor

This is the valley of a non roller motor

When I get the heads off now, I'll put new rocker arms and push rods in if I need to.
Don't bother. I'm sure your push rods and rocker arms are just fine.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's funny how people love to spend others money........
I agree lol, in his defense though I did ask and I am keeping my options open on roller rockers.

Did you break off the bolts in the head??
Sadly, I did. I bought it with an exhaust leak and I tried to remove the exhaust manifold, breaking seven out of eight bolts in the process. I then attempted to drill them out and re-tap them but I did each one slightly off and now it won't bolt down properly and I still have the exhaust leak. That's why I'm going to remove the heads and have my friend drill them at his shop.

I'll hold off on the push rods and rockers then, thanks.

I'll also have to resarch roller and non-roller motors.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts