Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

Good friends of mine had their house burned to the ground. Fortunately all 7 members of his family made it out alive and without injury. They literally got out with only the clothes they had on..... from bed in the middle of the night. They have lost almost everything.

The guys wife has a 1996 Ford Bronco~Eddie Bauer Edition. Her keys where in the fire... she hasn't been able to find them.

The local Ford dealer has not been any help in replacing the key because she doesn't have the key code. The locksmith sounded like an idiot and says the truck is too old for him to be able to easily repair.

This poor lady has gone for over a week without her car while her entire world has been turned upside down.

I want to be able to help these folks.

They live about 15 miles from town which makes it difficult to get the truck to a shop. I would like to drive out and surprise them by changing the ignition while they tend to all of the other stuff they need to take care of at this time.

So, I am interested in anything you can tell me that will allow me to change out the ignition switch.

Thank you for any help you can be.

·
Registered
262 Posts
You can drill the pin out that holds the ignition lock cylinder to the column. If you pull off the bottom plastic you will see the pin/hole. Its where you would turn the ignition to run and push the pin in to remove cylinder. You dont have keys so you can drill it.

Or you can grab a blank and a pair of vice grips, insert in lock and twist back and forth against the tumblers. They leave a mark and take a pair of clippers and take a small chunk of metal out of the key black until you don't see any more marking it should turn the cylinder.

Mobile locksmith used to charge me 80 bucks for a set of keys for auction cars i used to buy.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Can't the key be remade @ the dealer based on her VIN? If so they'll wanna see title/registration or something showing that the person getting the key made owns the truck.

·
Registered
42 Posts
you cant get a dealer to make a new key based on the vin. they don't keep Records back that far. found that out when we needed keys for a 99 sable.

·
Registered
9,789 Posts
theres two bolts holding the plastic ignition switch on on the lower bottom of the steering column. unbolt it and it has a little pin on it. you can use pliers to move the pin and operate all th eusual ignition functions.

·
#1 Asshole
1,452 Posts
theres two bolts holding the plastic ignition switch on on the lower bottom of the steering column. unbolt it and it has a little pin on it. you can use pliers to move the pin and operate all th eusual ignition functions.
That wont unlock the steering though.

·
My Bronco Isn't My Only
1,014 Posts
This is really something that should be left to professionals. I get calls all day long of people "trying" to be locksmiths and ending up breaking keys in their ignition etc. etc.
Most locksmiths will be able to make a key for it easily.
1996 Bronco isn't a transponder key and for them to actually make a new one should run 60-80 at most. If not, call another company.
Most locksmiths do mobile calls.
Just google the city name in google maps, click "Search Nearby" and type "locksmith". Call around :thumbup

·
Registered
144 Posts
u can drill out the switch to the point were it will turn with screwdriver then simply push pin in and pop put and replace with new unit

·
Registered
65 Posts
looking for any help here...

As I said in another post, I bought a 93 Bronco for $250 and am parting it out with goodies for my 95...

my prob is, the truck didnt come with a key and it is sitting in the old owners parking space at his apartment... and he wants it gone...

I dont need to start the thing, just unlock the wheel and tranny... then i can tow it with a tow strap the 2mi to my house... I dont care what I have to do to the column cause I am going to scrap it when I am done parting it out to "PickyourPart" (for $325;-) )

Can anyone tell me in better depth what I am drilling out? (where I put the key in? or the lil notch hole on the bottom?) Any guess on what size bit(can I go to big?)?

any help is GREATLY appreciated!

Burt

·
#1 Asshole
1,452 Posts
Use a big hammer and smack the ignition key and tumbler a few times it will break off of the column, insert a screw driver and turn, it will unlock the steering, although you will have to use a pair of snap ring pliers to get the retainer out and the broken piece of the tumbler out before you can insert the screw driver. I would recommend you get a locksmith out there to unlock it for you, remove the old key and tumbler, then simply insert a new key and tumbler(they are cheap) and do what you need to do. you can sell the steering column for half of what you paid for the truck it would be in your best interest to save it for a few $.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I just used a pair of channel locks on mine when I bought it. The cylinder was worn pretty good and just popped forward

·
Registered
297 Posts
you cant get a dealer to make a new key based on the vin. they don't keep Records back that far. found that out when we needed keys for a 99 sable.
huh thats strange gm can do it i know because i had a 91 geo storm and lost the keys took the VIN to the dealer and they made one in just a few mins that was in like 2005 so it was almost 15 years old i would think if GM can do it then ford could (gm sucks!!):histerica

1 - 15 of 15 Posts