Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Stupid question, I know, but I just want to be safe.

I live in an apartment and don't have access to a jack, yet I want to replace some of the old crappy rusted open lugs on my Bronco. Now one of the wheels only needs one lug replaced, and one doesn't need any, but the other two need multiple lugs replaced. Can I just replace the lugs one at a time without jacking it up and be safe? I know the hub supports the weight, but I was wondering if I could still risk possibly having the wheel come off balance on the hub by just doing one lug at a time.

I have limited resources so this is why I ask a question like this. :banghead

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
16,671 Posts
I agree with the above, but quick question for you. In the event that you get a flat, what are you going to do?

·
Registered
178 Posts
How do you get the lugs out past your brake backing plates? I don't see any way to get the lugs out without removing the hub on the front or the drum on the rear.

·
Registered
815 Posts
How do you get the lugs out past your brake backing plates? I don't see any way to get the lugs out without removing the hub on the front or the drum on the rear.
I think he meant lug nuts....or I hope so, otherwise I have to agree with you. I agree with the others about lug nuts. Hell, I've seen plenty of people driving around missing one or 2 on a wheel (on at least 5 lug vehicles of course..)

·
I see Broncos
6,199 Posts
You'll be fine. The real challenge is replacing a stud (or 3) in the Napa parking lot without jacking up your truck. Now that was a challenge!

Yes this was on the front.

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I agree with the above, but quick question for you. In the event that you get a flat, what are you going to do?
I have a bottle jack in the back for that, but I didn't feel like busting my ass just to swap a few lugs. When I said I have no jack, I was referring to a floor jack.

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
use a torque wrench
I don't has a torque wrench and never have had one. I just used a good ol' four-way tire iron, and torquing with only one arm, which they say the average male can pull 100ft-lbs with one arm.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.