Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've searched and searched, and haven't read much about people replacing the main rear brake line with a steel braided line.

I was going to just flare in a piece of steel to repair the line last night, but got into it, and noticed several rusted sections so I have to replace it. But no one around here sells a pre-bent full line. So my buddy said lets just get some steel braided. Any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
3,696 Posts
I've searched and searched, and haven't read much about people replacing the main rear brake line with a steel braided line.

I was going to just flare in a piece of steel to repair the line last night, but got into it, and noticed several rusted sections so I have to replace it. But no one around here sells a pre-bent full line. So my buddy said lets just get some steel braided. Any thoughts?
Why not just buy the straight lengths from Advance or NAPA and bend it yourself? Cheap hand tubing benders are just a few bucks and it's pretty easy once you get the hang of it. Mock up the bends with coat hangers and then bend the tube to match.

I think full length braided, besides being expensive, might result in a spongy pedal. I always try to minimize the braided lentghs and just use it where I need it to flex.

·
MARBLE GARGLER!
11,877 Posts
I agree with Scoop. Napa sells the lengths you need pre-flared with the fittings already on them. Just remember that when the bends are put in to the line it will be shorter-

·
Registered
107 Posts
The problem with installing braided lines in long lengths is they expand when pressure is applied. You could end up with spongy brakes.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was asking if a 72" length would be long enough in stainless, with the bends.

Also I always wondered this, but why would braided brake lines be okay on a super modified car, but not a street car?

·
Registered
331 Posts
the braided line is short, replacing the rubber part of the lines to the calipers, just long enough to allow for suspension travel, ... obviously the braided lines are better than rubber for pressure, but they are also more durable and wont be broken/cut/nicked like a rubber line...

·
Registered
25 Posts
take the old line off, straighten it out as best you can by hand, measure it and go buy the pre flared line closest to the length but no shorter.
thats what I did when I replaced both my rear wheel cylinders. I bent the lines by hand and ended up with this....

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,038 Posts
I'm talking about the full length from front to rear line. I'm planning on replacing the short rubbers with braided lines, but why not use them for the full length?
poolguy already answered this for you. The more rubber or braided line you bring into your brake system will likely lead to greater chance for spongy brakes since they allow for some amount of expansion when the pedal is applied whereas the hard line does not.

·
penis
3,320 Posts
No one has answered my question about the length of stainless though, would 72" be long enough with the bends....
Read post 10 click the link, full stainless prebent for a bronco if you need longer look at the f-150s. Once I get my Bronco in better running order the next thing will be stainless lines and stainless braided hoses.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Okay, I'm not spending 200 bucks on a brake line I can bend myself for 20 bucks max. :banghead

I have asked I believe 3 times if a 72" line would be long enough. :banghead

I need to replace the line from the front of the truck back to the junction. Not the line running along the rear axle.

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,038 Posts
Okay, I'm not spending 200 bucks on a brake line I can bend myself for 20 bucks max. :banghead

I need to replace the line from the front of the truck back to the junction. Not the line running along the rear axle.
Do you own any string? take it and run it along the line from end to end on the length you are wanting to replace (regardless where it's being run) and then measure the string in a straight line. Is 72" enough?:banghead

·
Registered
1,326 Posts

Cheap azz, STAINLESS is the only way to go.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Cheap no, single dad trying to put together a fun toy for myself and my daughter to enjoy yes.

Thanks for the string tip, just had a mental block and wasn't using my brain to figure out a way to measure it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
take the brake line off the truck...straighten it out by hand. measure it, go buy a line close to that length but no shorter.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts