Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am the proud owner of a "new to me" 96 Ford Bronco 5.8.

I recently noticed that there seems to be fluid seeping out from my rear differential case. It seems like a simple matter to just remove the 10 bolts on the cover, replace the seal, and screw it back in. From my limited experiences with motorcycles I know that nothing is as simple as it first seems.

What is involved in replacing the rear diff cover seal? From under the car I don't see any bolts that would let the fluid drain. Do I just remove the cover and let the fluid flow out? How about getting fluid back in... I think I feel a bolt on the top of the diff, perhaps that is how it filled up with fluid.

Please take it easy on me as I am new to this sort of thing.

Here is a picture for the curious:

·
Back in TEXAS
1,967 Posts
You drain the fluid by simply pulling the cover. To pu fluid back in there is a plug on the driverside front of the diff just over half-way up. Fill until gear lube seeps out the hole when parked level.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Pull the fill plug and see if it's actually low first.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I climbed under the Bronco while it was still daylight and there was the drain plug, plain as day. Up to that point I had been under there with a flashlight and somehow missed it.

The diff was definatly low on oil although there does appear to be another leak further up the chassis towards the engine. It does not appear that the part of the diff closest to the engine had any oil residue on it. I will start worrying about that other leak as soon as I get past all the items on my state inspection checklist.

I took a few photos while replacing the diff fluid and putting on the new seal if anyone is curious:
http://www.knez.org/Vehicles/photoindex.php?dir=images/bronco/rear%20diff

·
FSB warrior
6,117 Posts
good job. sucks you had to get your feet wet and have them smell like gear oil... but you know it was fun!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts