Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I want to replace my t-18 with a zf5. I understand that i will have to modify for the np205 linkage. Is there anything else. I am using a small block bellhousing from a t-18 will it bolt right up to the zf5 or just use the zf5 bellhousing? I have located one from an '88-'91 that was behind a F250 with a 5.8 . More questions than answers. Thanks

·
Wrenching for a Livin'
6,949 Posts
IIRC the zf bellhousing is cast into the rest of the trans. so just get one from a truck that had the same or similar motor as yours (small block bell housing, or "big block: etc.)

i think the shifters enter the cab in a slightly different location as well....

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
13,439 Posts
your donor, if indeed it is from a 5.8 will bolt right up to your motor. linkage and shifterwise, i dont know

·
Registered
50 Posts
Like they said, the bell housing and the tranny are one piece on the zf. I think you will need a different crossmember because the zf is longer. If the tranny is indeed longer (pretty sure it is), you will also need different or modified driveshafts.

The zf also has an internal slave cylinder as compared to the external on the T-18.

By the way it is all worth it:thumbup

1 - 4 of 4 Posts