Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
521 - 540 of 554 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,567 Posts
Its cold outside. Id like to be done, because working outside in the cold makes my hand hurt.
Sounds like an old man complaint.......... :eek:

·
ate lug
88 + 96 broncos, 96 F250
9,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #522 ·
It is :ROFLMAO:

Progress!
Replacing the oil cooler with a Ford Performance 90º adapter.

I waited until today to install it, because i wanted the lower radiator hose installed to make sure i got the clocking correct.
Its snug, but it fits!

If the radiator is in, that means its time for fluids too:

...and where we left off for the day:

All thats left now is to top off the radiator, prime the oil pump, and stab the distributor. Which means the next day i get out there to work, i should be able to start it up! :cool:

·
Premium Member
92 Bronco, 408 Stroker, 6R80, 4" lift, 9 inch, ARB lockers, 4.56 gears, Bassani exhaust
855 Posts
Hurry up snow is on the way.

·
Premium Member
3,567 Posts
I forget, did you used to have a York on there?

·
ate lug
88 + 96 broncos, 96 F250
9,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #525 ·
Its still there:

Its all back together and plumbed, i just dont have the clutch power hooked up right now. Pretty sure theres a leak over at the manifold, but ill find it later after the engine is broken in.

·
Premium Member
3,567 Posts
Didn't remember it being down that low, surprised it fits at all with BB.

·
ate lug
88 + 96 broncos, 96 F250
9,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #527 ·
Theres actually a decent amount of room down there, once that clunky AL accessory drive bracket is out of there:

Even with the fender liner in place, putting it back together was pretty easy.

·
ate lug
88 + 96 broncos, 96 F250
9,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #528 ·
Finished filling the radiator, primed the oil pump, stabbed the distributor. It lives!

Ran it for 20 minutes at 2-3k rpms to break in the cam, then shut it off. The tune isnt quite right, but i think theres an issue with my wideband, because theres no way its this lean:

Its like 19:1.:eek: I couldnt find any leaks on the headers or collectors, so it could be the O2 itself. I have another so ill swap it out for the other one and see if it makes a difference.

·
Ultra Premium Member
1996 EB w/5.8 TOO much lift, 44" Mudders & 5:43-5:38's
5,973 Posts
Did you check for a vacuum leak?

·
ate lug
88 + 96 broncos, 96 F250
9,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #530 ·
No not yet. There isnt too many vacuum lines to check (i think only 5), but its on the list. Once it fired, all i wanted to do was keep the rpms up to break in the cam. If i get out there tomorrow, ill double check the vacuum system.

·
Premium Member
3,567 Posts
No not yet. There isnt too many vacuum lines to check (i think only 5), but its on the list. Once it fired, all i wanted to do was keep the rpms up to break in the cam. If i get out there tomorrow, ill double check the vacuum system.
How does it idle. 19:1, it would barely run. Are you reading A/F straight off guage, or through datalog?

·
ate lug
88 + 96 broncos, 96 F250
9,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #532 ·
It idles. I had it idling while i checked the headers & collectors for exhaust leaks. Its a little rough to start; the tune might need some tweaking. Both the laptop and the gauge on the column are showing super-lean, which leads me to believe its a gauging issue (both are fed from the same output from Innovate's controller). I have 2 wideband O2s so i can swap it out for the other one, recalibrate, and see if anything changes.

·
Premium Member
3,567 Posts
It idles. I had it idling while i checked the headers & collectors for exhaust leaks. Its a little rough to start; the tune might need some tweaking. Both the laptop and the gauge on the column are showing super-lean, which leads me to believe its a gauging issue (both are fed from the same output from Innovate's controller). I have 2 wideband O2s so i can swap it out for the other one, recalibrate, and see if anything changes.
If you want to see if it is working at all. Dip a rag in some gas, put it at the bottom of a ziplock.
Put the sensor (still hooked up to guage) into ziplock little by little. See if it goes from full lean to full rich.
(don't touch sensor on gas/rag).

Works good this way, as A/F is not jumping around in a bag.

Reactions: reptillikus

·
Premium Member
92 Bronco, 408 Stroker, 6R80, 4" lift, 9 inch, ARB lockers, 4.56 gears, Bassani exhaust
855 Posts
Congrats brother, long time coming. How was oil pressure?

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
16,251 Posts
Really, no video?? Come on man..

That aside..glad to see you have it running..remind me again what software you're using?

·
ate lug
88 + 96 broncos, 96 F250
9,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #537 · (Edited)
No, no video :rolleyes: Dont have anybody to shoot any right now, and id like to get it running right first anyway.
Im using TunerStudio, and MegaLogViewer for the tune & datalogging.

I fixed my oil pressure gauge; the needle was stuck. I need to make a heat shield for the OBA supply hose down to the frame, and theres a leak in the hose i need to fix as well. My remote trans filter is leaking so i will probably just replace the filter after putting a couple more miles on it. The C6 shifts good, altho i thought it would be a bit firmer, so i might make some adjustments there. I swapped out my speedo gear and got it damn near perfect, im off by 1mph at 60 :cool: Oh, and OD would be nice, because its doing 60mph at 3k rpms. Its loud on the highway :ROFLMAO: I need to adjust my draglink, the steering wheel isnt straight.

Congrats brother, long time coming. How was oil pressure?
Thanks dude! Oil pressure is good; its got about 50 PSI at 2k rpm, when warmed up. Idle is somewhere around 25?? I forgot to check it again before i shut it off. Its good.

Did you check for a vacuum leak?
I went thru the vacuum system, didnt find any leaks. Tried @OX1 's idea with the O2 and it tested good, so i said screw it and added fuel. Woah, that did it! :eek: It still needs work, but it is running a ton better now. So my original tune was written by Stinger, and im guessing they just got the fuel wrong because i added a decent amount of fuel across the board, and it runs a ton better now. The torque!!!! Holy crap the torque!!! :eek: it is an absolute animal; it will get sideways if i romp on it o_O The tune needs some more work, but its good enough that i can drive it now.

The motor is noisy. Im guessing valvetrain? Im going to go over to the machine shop next week so the builder can listen. Maybe we need to shim the rockers a little bit.

·
ate lug
88 + 96 broncos, 96 F250
9,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #539 ·
So, after breaking in the cam thursday i shut it off and let it sit. Friday afternoon i changed the oil, so it had plenty of time to settle.
The oil itself looked clean. I cut the oil filter apart and found a small amount of metal, nothing like i did on the first rebuild. Id think this would be expected, after breaking in the cam and lifters. So i finished the oil change and hit the road! I put ~20 miles on it while messing with the tune. Its getting there but still needs work.

521 - 540 of 554 Posts