381 - 400 of 428 Posts

·
ate lug
88 + 96 broncos, 96 F250
8,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #381 ·
Found the older air-oil cooler in the garage:
Picture

Fits in there better than the coolant based cooler, but still doesnt clear frame:
Picture

This is good enough to verify our original plan will work for either cooler/adapter. So now the block can come out!
Picture

Your typical wear in the cylinder bores:
Picture

And a decent score in the #2 cylinder:
Picture

All the other cylinders look decent, so i flipped it over and pulled the pan.
Picture

The oil pump screen is nice and clean, and so was the pan. Spun the motor over via the crank bolt, and you can hear the #8 wrist pin clunking away. Its pretty sloppy. So this is the source of the noise. Now to find a machine shop willing to work on this thing...

·
ate lug
88 + 96 broncos, 96 F250
8,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #383 ·
Could be a ring. I didnt break it down any further. I have the pulleys & water pump off, but im not going to go any further on it until i find someone interested in rebuilding it. The score mark looks really bad but i cant feel it; im hoping a .030 overbore will clean it up good as new.

·
ate lug
88 + 96 broncos, 96 F250
8,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #384 ·
Lifters and cam are now out:
Picture

#8 rod bearing. This is the worst of the bunch, but not by much:
Picture

Picture

#6 had a broken ring, altho there is no indication of it in the cylinder bore:
Picture

#1 main bearing pretty worn:
Picture

#2 is shot! This is the worst of them:
Picture

All main bearings worn, with corresponding scoring in the crank journals
Picture

Picture

Tuesday this mess of parts will be going to the machine shop so we can see where we stand.
Picture

·
ate lug
88 + 96 broncos, 96 F250
8,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #385 ·
Well, the block, crank, rods, pistons & heads are officially at the machine shop :cool:
He's figuring atleast .010, so most likely will get a .030 overbore. No idea on deck height at this point, but we might take some off to bump compression a bit.

Thinking about running this cam:

And im thinking about this throttle body as well:

Were gonna try and build something torquey that will still run on the stock EEC. Im expecting to have to adjust fuel pressure a bit but hopefully not much else. We'll see how it goes!

Plan for the rest of the week is to clean up my mess in the garage. Then bust open the 203/205 doubler, give it a good cleaning, change all the seals and get it ready for reinstallation. Then im gonna set the C6 up on the bench and slap a shift-kit in it while im waiting for the motor to come back. I also want to change the converter while its apart since its probably original from 1988. So lots going on right now, even if there arent any posts showing it!

·
ate lug
88 + 96 broncos, 96 F250
8,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #386 ·
Talked to the builder this morning. Block is going to need .015, so we're gonna go right to .030. Crank will need .010. He's on board with that cam i linked yesterday. Still researching pistons, but it sounds like he's found a set thatll get us ~9.6:1 compression, which should be pretty sweet. Unfortunately, both F4 heads are cracked :eek: One of my E7 heads is cracked at an exhaust flange, so its looking like new heads are going to happen.

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
7,614 Posts
Since your C6 and have to get new heads.
You are not really limited to the stock EFI now... pending what your budget maybe. As in you could easilly stick carb era heads on it now, and then get one of the many available EFI systems for them.

Reactions: reptillikus

·
ate lug
88 + 96 broncos, 96 F250
8,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #388 ·
My long term was 547 stroker, big carb heads and Holley Sniper/Dominator. Then of course a big converter, full rebuild on the C6 with all the upgrades, etc. But that was my 5 year plan. This caught me off guard big time, and I don't currently have the budget for something like that. But this is probably better for the truck anyway; it's still going to end up with decently more HP/TQ than I had before, but shouldn't be too much to handle.

·
Premium Member
3,455 Posts
Like you need more torque than an EFI460 and 4:1 case, especially with a back seat now that you'll end up in, even with the old tired motor. :)

·
ate lug
88 + 96 broncos, 96 F250
8,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #390 ·
Oh, i think we're gonna end up with just a wee bit more Hp/Tq than we had before ;) :cool:

We're getting raw castings in for the heads instead of remans, so we can up the valve sizes. Im probably going to gasket match the intake & plenum , and its gonna get a bigger throttle body. She's gonna breathe a lot more freely than she used to :cool:

·
ate lug
88 + 96 broncos, 96 F250
8,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #391 ·
Ok, so referencing this pic i took a couple weeks ago:
Picture

I decided to just go for it, and notch it. Here's hoping i made it the right shape!

Frame all cleaned up:
Picture

Not real easy to see, but ive drawn several different lines on the frame, to try to figure out how i want to do this
Picture

The point of no return!
Picture

Here's the piece i removed for reference:
Picture

The rough mockup in cardboard:
Picture

And here's what i ended up with, original shape was pretty close:
Picture

Fitting/welding:
Picture

Picture

...and the end result!
Picture

Picture

There is a ton of room. This has got to be good enough, altho im not gonna lie, im a bit nervous about this one. Mainly because i wont be able to verify its good until the motor goes in. Here's hoping!

·
Premium Member
92 Bronco, 408 Stroker, 6R80, 4" lift, 9 inch, ARB lockers, 4.56 gears, Bassani exhaust
701 Posts
Nice work.

·
Premium 4 Lyfe - Way Back Staff
'95 XLT: 5.8, MAF, E4OD, 4.56's, 6" on 33's
37,928 Posts
If ya had to do it... it looks damn well done man. (y) 🍻

·
Premium Member
3,455 Posts
Don't you have al least one spare block kicking around you can drop in.

·
ate lug
88 + 96 broncos, 96 F250
8,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #395 ·
Both blocks need bearings, both cranks needed ground, and 3 heads had cracks o_O
I basically have a pile of scrap cast iron. But, this thing should be done before winter. Unless we have an issue getting parts, that is.

·
Premium Member
3,455 Posts
Both blocks need bearings, both cranks needed ground, and 3 heads had cracks o_O
I basically have a pile of scrap cast iron. But, this thing should be done before winter. Unless we have an issue getting parts, that is.
I meant to test fit for the cutout you just made. Wasn't it for oil filter adapter or something along those lines.

·
ate lug
88 + 96 broncos, 96 F250
8,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #397 ·
yeah, duh :ROFLMAO: But no, i dropped both blocks off to the builder and told him to use whichever looked better.

·
ate lug
88 + 96 broncos, 96 F250
8,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #398 ·
Talked to the builder today. Heads are in and he's already started cutting for valves. Currently looking at decking the block .010 to bump compression a bit, but we'll figure that out once the heads are done. Hes going to order the timing set/cam/lifters/etc tomorrow. I ordered a new Kaase oil pump + hardened shaft from ARP today. Also ordered a wideband O2 + controller & an adjustable FPR as well so i can tune it once its running. Researching online it seems its hit or miss if its possible to tune it on the stock injectors so ill have to get it running, mess with the fuel pressure, and then (probably) have to go back and get bigger injectors. But thats a ways off yet.

Disassembled & started cleaning the NP203/205 doubler; hoping to start putting that back together tomorrow. Fed Ex doesnt seem to want to deliver my shift kit (no updates since saturday) so doubtful ill be doing anything to the trans this week.

·
Premium Member
3,455 Posts
Talked to the builder today. Heads are in and he's already started cutting for valves. Currently looking at decking the block .010 to bump compression a bit, but we'll figure that out once the heads are done. Hes going to order the timing set/cam/lifters/etc tomorrow. I ordered a new Kaase oil pump + hardened shaft from ARP today. Also ordered a wideband O2 + controller & an adjustable FPR as well so i can tune it once its running. Researching online it seems its hit or miss if its possible to tune it on the stock injectors so ill have to get it running, mess with the fuel pressure, and then (probably) have to go back and get bigger injectors. But thats a ways off yet.

Disassembled & started cleaning the NP203/205 doubler; hoping to start putting that back together tomorrow. Fed Ex doesnt seem to want to deliver my shift kit (no updates since saturday) so doubtful ill be doing anything to the trans this week.
Does tuning with FP only work on lightly modded SD 460's? Doesn't work that well on 5.0's, even mass air.
I guess if you don't go too far off, so EEC can eventually correct idle, low end part throttle.

·
ate lug
88 + 96 broncos, 96 F250
8,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #400 ·
There doesn't seem to be as many people tuning them as the Windsors, so I'm not 100% sure. Over on 460Ford a lot of people are swapping in 26# injectors, turning up the FP and calling it good. Im not super thrilled with that idea, which is why I'm going to put a wideband in, so I can see what it's actually doing. If I can get it to run good then great, if not then I guess I'll get a Pimpx from Stinger Performance and tune it that way.

381 - 400 of 428 Posts