101 - 120 of 259 Posts

·
ate lug
8,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #101
Ok, update time.

Started on the doors:

Door #2:

This is where my inexperience with sheetmetal repair shows. I took my time, but both doors sunk when i welded them. Cant have any filler since the mirror bolts up here, it would just crack. Its gotta be fixed, but im not sure how. Thus far ive only made it worse, which is disappointing.

In my frustration, i decided to abandon the doors for now and start designing a rear bumper.

Gutted the original tailgate, so i could easily install it.

Back in place, with the green bronco's bumper still installed. I wanted the 'gate there for mockup of the rear bumper, and its nice & easy to move empty.

Once i got some free time, i went over to the scrap steel yard and found some goodies.

Some 3½x6 angle iron. Oddball size but IMO perfect for a bumper. Also got some 2½x1/4" flat stock, and some cool lookin panels with speed holes in them :toothless

...and some 3/8" plate.

I expect to use the angle & plate, i doubt i have a use for that stuff with the holes in it, but they had a ton of em and they looked cool so i bought two :toothless I spent ~ $75 for all of it, so i figure im into the bumper for about $50 as of right now.

With the corners cut, the angle will fit up roughly here:

Bumper brackets built out of the 3/8" plate

...and installed. My shackle hangars are forward on the frame to correct shackle angle, which gives me 5 existing holes in the frame to bolt to.

...and the angle iron slotted to fit over the brackets

The tabs sticking thru will get reinforced at a later date and become shackle mounts. This way theyll pull directly on the frame as opposed to just the face of the bumper.

Thats all i got; i have a rough idea for what i want the rear bumper to look like, but nothing is set in stone yet so im kind of designing it as i go. I know i want a centered lisc plate, a 2" receiver in the middle (either behind or below plate), i want to taper the corners, and i want to wrap around under the rear quarters to protect them. So ive got a bit of design work to do yet.

·
Ford-a-Holic
3,931 Posts
You can shrink the repair to remove the "oil canning" with some small amounts of heat and a little hammer and dolly work and water cooling. If you don't own a "heel" dolly, a small piece of railroad track make a descent dolly for different shapes. Once you get it to where you want, use "tiger hair" or a similar product so it won't crack. Then a thin coat of filler should take care of it.
I would suggest you try it on a piece of sheet metal before your door to get a feel for it.
Here's a DIY video on the process

·
ate lug
8,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #103
Ill watch that vid in a little bit :toothless

I was using heat & water but no hammer work since its behind the regulator, not much room to swing. Also, the door has i guess fiberglass reinforcement on the inside, i assume to keep the mirror from flopping around in the wind. Guess ill have to try a little harder.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Not sure how effective it will be, having never tried it. But you might be able to heat it up then use a can of keyboard cleaner upside down to spray on it and rapidly cool it down. I kept meaning to try it on the big dent in my old trucks tailgate, but traded it in before I ever got around to it.

·
Ford-a-Holic
3,931 Posts
Not sure how effective it will be, having never tried it. But you might be able to heat it up then use a can of keyboard cleaner upside down to spray on it and rapidly cool it down. I kept meaning to try it on the big dent in my old trucks tailgate, but traded it in before I ever got around to it.
I think because keyboard cleaner is a refrigerant-based propellant cleaner and not compressed air, it may get too cold and cause the metal to crack.

·
Ford-a-Holic
3,931 Posts
Ill watch that vid in a little bit :toothless

I was using heat & water but no hammer work since its behind the regulator, not much room to swing. Also, the door has i guess fiberglass reinforcement on the inside, i assume to keep the mirror from flopping around in the wind. Guess ill have to try a little harder.
I'm thinking you should be heating,hammering and cooling the area in front of and behind the patch, not where you welded it in.
Just my $0.02

·
ate lug
8,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #107
Yeah, watched a couple vids then, i was close but not quite right on my technique.

I was heating the area that pulled in, not my patch, but i didnt pop it out first which i think was my whole problem. I could see it move, but of course it moved the wrong way :toothless
Worst case, i have another pair of OEM doors i can use (i was saving them for half doors, but i could always make these half doors instead) so its not the end of the world if i dont get em right. I will go back and try it again when im done with the rear bumper, i just need a break from sheetmetal!

·
ate lug
8,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #109
Stupid weather delayed me a bit, but ive still managed to get some progress made on the rear bumper:

Tapered the corners:

Added another 3" on the bottom, doesnt look like it but the corners taper to 2"

Mock-up on bronco

2x2 box tube, to protect quarter panel:

Mocking up the whole corner:

Hopefully tomorrow i can make that small piece for the corner, and then start duplicating everything for the other side.

·
ate lug
8,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #110
Starting to take shape:

Both corners are done now:

As you can see, i still have a sh*tload of welding/grinding to do :toothless

Im hoping to get out there today for an hour or two, i want to start working on the receiver hitch. So hopefully more updates this week!

·
ate lug
8,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #111
Some scrap 2½" box tube

Laying it out

...and here we go!

full welded and ground on the face, plus fully welded on the back side as well.

I started welding and grinding the seam as well, but theres still a lot more left to do!

·
ate lug
8,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #113
All seams done being welded and ground:

Time to reinforce the shackle mounts:

First one done

...and second one done!

We're getting close now; i need to drill/tap for license plate hardware, then flip it over and add some gussets, and that might be it! :cool:

·
ate lug
8,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #115
3/8" gussets for the receiver:

1/4" gussets for the bumper brackets. Probably unnecessary but cant hurt:

...and she's done! :imp

The fender will require some slight trimming for clearance to bumper:

Fitment w/ flare (flare will get trimmed later down the road):

So now that this is done, im gonna take the rest of the week off to get some stuff done around here plus do some cleaning in the garage (its a mess in there after building this thing!), and then next week ill start brainstorming the front bumper :cool:

·
ate lug
8,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #117

We coudlve been twins! :toothless

It was close, anyway. Im sorry to say though, she wont be staying blue/white. Single color, something in the vein of Magnetic. Im really hoping to get it painted this summer, but time will tell.

·
ate lug
8,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #118
Ok, finally, an update!

It took me a little while to decide how i wanted to build the front bumper, then sourcing the material. Since i had to actually buy new steel to build it (i usually buy all my steel from the local scrap steel yard), i decided to have them do a little work for me before i picked it up. Took a little bit of time, but i got a lot of work done on other projects around the house so no big deal.

So anyways, i picked this up about a week ago:

8' of 1/4" plate all bent up :imp Its a 5" leg and an 8" leg, with a 1-3/8" section in the middle. Should be just enough to build what im planning.

Chopped off a piece 43" long:

The 8" leg might seem a bit tall, but as you can see here, its necessary to hide that massive winch:

Because this winch is from a Powerwagon, its got an unusual handle:

My current plan is to modify it to swing over the bumper so i dont have to cut a notch in it, but that wont happen for a little while yet.

Other items of note:
#1, the fairlead on this winch goes on the top of the drum instead of the bottom.
#2, LED light bar!

·
ate lug
8,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #119
Mocked up a bumper bracket in cardboard:

Plan is to have a shackle mount part of the bracket and pass thru the front plate, like i did on the rear

Final design:

drawn:

cut

...and duplicated! Built them out of 3/8" plate like i did for the rear, which is pretty time consuming!

Welding them to the center plate

Laying out for bumper bolts. Im reusing 3 holes in the frame, plus adding two more

Drilling 1/2" holes in 3/8" plate kind of sucks :toothless

Which gets us to yesterday. Shes officially bolted on!

I can already tell. This thing is gonna be heavy :toothless

Tomorrow im going to start laminating the shackle tabs, to get that done and over with before the bumper gets too heavy to easily move around. Once thats done ill start working on the corners :cool:

101 - 120 of 259 Posts