Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

121 - 140 of 259 Posts

·
ate lug
8,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #122
Thanks guys :thumbup

Considering its a brick nose, i feel like it needs this beefy bulky bumper up front, as opposed to tubing. I think it fits the body lines better. So i guess thats what im building :toothless

So Friday i got a little bit of work done. Made all 4 tabs to laminate the shackle mounts.

I need to pilot them, and then they can be welded up like i did the rears; hopefully Monday. Apparently a month or so ago i forgot to turn the gas bottle off on the mig, so i gotta go get gas tomorrow morning first :doh:

Heres a teaser for the corner:
There will be two more pieces to wrap around the corner , and i think im going to change the shape of this one a bit, as im afraid its going to end up too wide. It does give you a good idea of the look im going for though!

·
Ford-a-Holic
3,926 Posts
I agree, it will be too bulky. I did a taper on mine and then radiused it to follow the wheel opening. Not trying to hijack your thread, just giving you some options.

·
ate lug
8,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #124
The shape im going for is similar to yours. Ill be adding the angled bottom piece which will taper up into the corners, and will probably cap the ends similarly as well:

Im looking at two additional angled pieces to make that corner (its not going to be rounded like the cardboard appears), altho once i cut that piece friday, it looked a lot bigger in steel than cardboard. Ill probably make them, and then if it looks too big i can always trim them down a bit. 8' is barely enough to make the bumper, so i cant waste any material or ill have to go back to the steel supplier and order more.

Keep im mind, i will be adding a tubular brush guard on top to protect the grill/lightbar.

·
ate lug
8,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #125
Man, the flu! We both got sick last weekend :zombie:
Thankfully the little guy did not get it.

So really only got the shackle tabs done, nothing else

Both are done now, so ill start working on the corners again on Monday. I do think it needs to be narrowed a bit, i guess we'll find out soon enough!

·
Ford-a-Holic
3,926 Posts
Looks good; I like the cardboard mock up but think the angle should be a little tighter. (raked more towards the back) Either way, it's coming out awesome!

Maybe something more like this?

·
ate lug
8,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #138
So i tinkered a bit, this is what i came up with. Its very similar to what i had originally, just some minor changes to the corner to tighten it up a bit:

4" across the bottom, the angled pieces taper up to 3"

...and from there tapers again...

...until the corner, which ends at 1".

Pretty tight to the body

The end is capped, and i added a bent piece in the bottom to add rigidity to the corner.

Im pretty happy with this, i think its going to work out well. Now i need to duplicate it on the other side!

I still need to add gussets from the bumper brackets, add a tubular brush guard, mount the light bar, cut the opening for the winch fairlead, and then do an absolute ton of welding!

·
ate lug
8,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #139
Finally, an update!

I got the driver corner finished

I knew i was going to be doing some tube work, so i ordered some stuff, and took a couple days to upgrade the bender:

New base with swiveling locking castors, and a hydraulic conversion courtesy of SWAG Offroad :imp
Just in case i might ever want to switch back to manual for some dumb reason, i added 1/2" holes to bolt it to the floor, and the castors are bolted in place via tapped holes in the base plate.
It is soo much easier to use than by hand! Wish i did this years ago, makes bending tube so much easier to do by myself. No spring-back on the bends either, which is a huge plus over manual bending. So with that done, lets bend some tube!

Monday i took some measurements and got the main hoop bent and tacked in place:

..and then bent up some side bars yesterday:

Man, i am super excited with how this thing is coming out!!Hopefully tomorrow ill be out there working on it again; i want to add some gussets to the bumper brackets, and then im going to start welding up all the seams :cool:

At some point, the bumper needs to come off so i can mount the winch, and then lay out the window ill need to cut for the cable to come thru. We're getting close to completion on this thing!!! :rockon

121 - 140 of 259 Posts