Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need a rebuilt m5od r2 tranny for my 88 5.0 fsb. Ill be doing the install myself and the tranny will probably need to be shipped because I live in the sticks. Anybody have good or bad experiences I should know about?? Thank you for any info you can give me..

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Actually I need to update my location. I live in a small town south of Steamboat Springs now. Nearest actual tranny shop is about 60 miles away.

·
Registered
178 Posts
First, i would have to say after 30 years in the Automotive industry, the longer the warranty the worst the product. Most of the lifetime warranties also come on the lowest priced products. How can you have the best of both worlds? Or better expressed, how can someone take a bunch of parts that last 50,000 miles, take them apart, clean them, and put them back together and they will now last forever? It cannot happen. Warranty is a gimmick in most cases. It is approven industry fact that when you shop based on price and longest warranty, 70%-80% of those buyers will not own their vehicle 1 year later. So the company buys crap product, and expects a 20%-40% warranty rate. But it is all built into the price.

Quality products typically have just a one year warranty on them, and they will be more expensive than than the lifetime warranty stuff. And they will not be found in a box store.

As for Ford Transmissions, LenTech Automatics is considered by many to be the best in the business concerning AOD's (he also does other trannies and now has a speed shop to boot). But he aint cheap. I have seen his stuff survive behind some really powerful motors.

·
Registered
710 Posts
best product is one you did yourself... that way you know it's right. I build cars and was always terrified of the "magic" auto transmissions. Then last summer I tore into one, they are very very simple critters. I have since done 2 transmissions myself, and right now am building the 4r100 out of my 2000 model f-250 diesel.

ATSG makes a very good and easy to understand book, they only cost like 25 bucks on ebay, order the book, then decide if you still think it's worth paying a fortune to have some crook rip you off to do such an easy job.

seriously, i was terrified by them, as soon as you open one up though, damn they are simple. If you have basic shop tools you can rebuild one, as well as make your own "special tools".

Keep it clean, keep it organized, when you pull something out lay it facing front of transmission down (or up) and do that with every single piece, it makes it easy to put stuff back facing in the right direction. and NO BEER:beer well maybe one or two, but as long as you keep it organized you'll have no issues. The ONLY special tools you need to buy are an INCH POUND torque wrench and a set of calipers to measure clearances and such... Every one of the transmission tools is easily made if you study the pictures...

It took me longer to take the transmission out of my turbo diesel than it did to tear the entire thing apart, and make 2 "special tools".

1 - 6 of 6 Posts