Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 92" and i have an exhaust question. Towards the front of the exhaust system, the two pipes that come from the engine go into what looks like some sort of large collector and then out as one pipe. i was wondering if this was a resonator and if it is, if i replace it with just a y pipe will it get louder? i like noise....:thumbup

·
FSB's Bastard Child
2,047 Posts
I believe that would be your catalytic converter. You can cut it out and put a piece of pipe there, But Do us all a favor and save the enviroment and the atmosphere.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
nope, its not the cat, its before u get to the cat. two pipes go in, and one comes out, and its big, not a normal headpipe or y-pipe. Could i have two cats, one before the other?

·
Registered
506 Posts
yup it is A cat. Your truck has 2.:uke

Raf and Zach: I never pegged you for enviro-nazis.....:goodfinge

·
FSB's Bastard Child
2,047 Posts
badblack88 said:

Raf and Zach: I never pegged you for enviro-nazis.....:goodfinge
Me? Enviro Nazi....Noooo, But Most states have emissions testing, Raf does in Cali....And its easier to explain the RIGHT way to do it, Rather then the 1/2 assed way.

·
Registered
506 Posts
are you saying I have half a butt??:D

·
FSB's Bastard Child
2,047 Posts
Maybe...

But, I only have one cat due to floridas lack of emissions testing....:goodfinge :goodfinge

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
shouldnt it still pass even with one, most cars only have one. its not a piece of crap that smokes or anything, its in perfect condition. And if i were to take one of, which one should it be, the first one with the two pipes going in, or the normal one b4 the muffler

·
Registered
13,893 Posts
If you have emission testing - can't remember if NH does or not - then you have to have both cats on there. if you don't, it won't pass the test - assuming a visual test is part of the testing. Try taking it to any muffler shop, and asking them to remove one of them... a respectable shop won't do that, knowing the consequences if they, and get caught... that'd be a federal offence, and a 25K dollar fine for them, and a 2500 dollar fine for you.

There are better ways to get louder :rolleyes:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
what are the better ways? i used to have a chevy with a 350 no cat and a flowmaster and that thing made some noise. im not used to this quiet.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ive already got one on my bronco and its not loud enough. those two cats are starving it i think.

·
Registered
13,893 Posts
geezus, what more do you want? 3" glasspacks? I remember the days of being inconsiderate to other people

really, you want any louder, get a short glasspack

·
Registered
506 Posts
glasspack- 1. n. often believed to be a type of simple type of automotive muffler. 2. $10 pile of crap that makes your nice ford sound like a 1974 white trash camaro.

Cheap, and as a bonus, sounda lika crap too!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
screw glasspacks, ill just take out wanna the converters myself. Problem solved.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
the first one is a cat, like the other guys said.
mine passes emissons(back when we had them) with only the front cat. i just knocked all the guts outta the rear cat, so it looked like it was all factory.
i only did this cause it was clogged up. just letting zach and raf, the new fsb tree hugging, granola eating, envrio freaks i know so they dont target me for enviro terrorism or anything:goodfinge

and zach, you still going to matts to get so we can do your lift?

·
Registered
519 Posts
take a sawzal to the first cat and cut that b!tch off. Then not only do you now have a new slick, super fast, free flowing, horse power liberating, dual exhaust, performance enhanced system that could easily take you into quarter times in the sub 6s. The sound is absolutely incredible not too throaty and a perfect rumble it really might be the most incredible free mod out there for broncos.

Oh and only man-ginas worry about smog tests, seriously
:beer

1 - 20 of 21 Posts