Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok all...up to this point I've done most of the work myself, but I'm at the point of our small project that I want to let the experts take care of. I'm meeting with a local restoration shop (very reputable) to go over what I hope to have done and get a ballpark figure on price. I wanted to see if y'all had any advice as to what to ask about as far as (really anything) the process, or are there things you wish you'd done/had done that weren't quite obvious at the time, etc? Here's a basic list of things I'd like for him to accomplish so you get an idea of what's next:

1. Body correction (small dents, etc), panel replacement where necessary to include floorboard sections, paint (exterior only)
2. (This is a WANT at this point) Engine refresh/rebuild. Would like to convert to Sniper EFI. I do know this particular shop has experience with these. At minimum, truck leaks everything from everywhere, so seals and gaskets need replaced, but after 150K-ish miles, may be time for a more extensive refresh.
3. (This is a WANT at this point) 4.11/4.10 gear install rear/front. Just installed the 35's and it currently has 3.50's. Plus my front housing is leaking...I don't have the knowledge to replace gears myself.

I plan to remove all trim and interior (carpet, seats, panels) myself before to cut down on some of the labor charges. Plus when it gets done, we're doing the interior ourselves. New carpet, etc is already waiting and I'll be refurbing the panels at home while the truck is in the shop.

If there's anything you think I'm forgetting that I should ask about or ask to have accomplished pertaining to those areas, I'm all ears for suggestions.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Ok all...up to this point I've done most of the work myself, but I'm at the point of our small project that I want to let the experts take care of. I'm meeting with a local restoration shop (very reputable) to go over what I hope to have done and get a ballpark figure on price. I wanted to see if y'all had any advice as to what to ask about as far as (really anything) the process, or are there things you wish you'd done/had done that weren't quite obvious at the time, etc? Here's a basic list of things I'd like for him to accomplish so you get an idea of what's next:

1. Body correction (small dents, etc), panel replacement where necessary to include floorboard sections, paint (exterior only)
2. (This is a WANT at this point) Engine refresh/rebuild. Would like to convert to Sniper EFI. I do know this particular shop has experience with these. At minimum, truck leaks everything from everywhere, so seals and gaskets need replaced, but after 150K-ish miles, may be time for a more extensive refresh.
3. (This is a WANT at this point) 4.11/4.10 gear install rear/front. Just installed the 35's and it currently has 3.50's. Plus my front housing is leaking...I don't have the knowledge to replace gears myself.

I plan to remove all trim and interior (carpet, seats, panels) myself before to cut down on some of the labor charges. Plus when it gets done, we're doing the interior ourselves. New carpet, etc is already waiting and I'll be refurbing the panels at home while the truck is in the shop. We're finished with the rest of the suspension/steering, etc so that should be good to go.

If there's anything you think I'm forgetting that I should ask about or ask to have accomplished pertaining to those areas, I'm all ears for suggestions.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
623 Posts
ok, why not do the sniper install yourself? my boss had her truck done at a shop, think it ran her $4700. I'm doing mine in my driveway, it'll run me <$1700.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok, why not do the sniper install yourself? my boss had her truck done at a shop, think it ran her $4700. I'm doing mine in my driveway, it'll run me <$1700.
Holy balls, 4700 to have the sniper installed? Ok, that may be a future project.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Holy balls, 4700 to have the sniper installed? Ok, that may be a future project.
just do it yourself. I am, the only real question on it is finding the correct wire to tap into.

see this thread:

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
just do it yourself. I am, the only real question on it is finding the correct wire to tap into.

see this thread:
Oh I've been following along on that one :D

·
Registered
1984 Bronco, 4.9L, C6, 8.8, 44 TTB, 3.54 Gears
223 Posts
Your floor board issues will require gutting the interior of the truck to fix. You can't fix them from the exterior. I mean, you could, but not properly.

As for gearing, if you have a 9", just drop the third members and take them to a shop. It's not very difficult, just time consuming and dirty work.

I can get behind fixing dents and stuff IF you're planning on having it professionally painted, and buying all new chrome for it. If not, don't bother.

Ball park figure for what you want done will probably come in a lot higher than you think...like potentially reaching $10k.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Your floor board issues will require gutting the interior of the truck to fix. You can't fix them from the exterior. I mean, you could, but not properly.

As for gearing, if you have a 9", just drop the third members and take them to a shop. It's not very difficult, just time consuming and dirty work.

I can get behind fixing dents and stuff IF you're planning on having it professionally painted, and buying all new chrome for it. If not, don't bother.

Ball park figure for what you want done will probably come in a lot higher than you think...like potentially reaching $10k.
Yep, that's kind of what I'm figuring, honestly. The goal is a nice cruiser, local show grade truck (nothing crazy, but nice) as we get everything done over time. And the interior will be stripped before it goes into the shop. That I can do. The engine and gears may wait as it's probably cheaper to "subcontract" myself instead of have him do it for me, but I like getting everyone's take on it. It'd just be really nice to get everything done at once, but I know you gotta pay. Maybe he'll take one look at me and just think "man, this guy needs a break." hah.

Most of the chrome trim is purchased and just waiting for it's turn to be installed! Hoping to be able to reuse all of the side trim, it's in really good shape if I can bring the shine back. Can't wait to get to that point.

·
Registered
none :(
30 Posts
Body work is pretty straight forward replace rust and paint to color. Try to make sure they see all of the rust you don't want surprises later upping the budget after its tore apart in their shop. Rebuild at 150k depends on how much oil it burns. Could take a head off and look for honing cross marks on the inner cylinder walls. New gears are always nice and more of a need to me. The rest is kinda a loaded question and opinion based. I prefer carbs and don't want a proprietary efi part giving out on me having to wait for it to ship vs using factory efi or carbs that you can get at any parts store. (Don't get me into efi vs carbs we will never see eye to eye id rather talk politics)

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Body work is pretty straight forward replace rust and paint to color. Try to make sure they see all of the rust you don't want surprises later upping the budget after its tore apart in their shop. Rebuild at 150k depends on how much oil it burns. Could take a head off and look for honing cross marks on the inner cylinder walls. New gears are always nice and more of a need to me. The rest is kinda a loaded question and opinion based. I prefer carbs and don't want a proprietary efi part giving out on me having to wait for it to ship vs using factory efi or carbs that you can get at any parts store. (Don't get me into efi vs carbs we will never see eye to eye id rather talk politics)
Thanks Bud! Absolutely it's opinion based, but there's a lot of experience on this board and I definitely want to make sure I ask the right questions where needed before they start tearing into it. Don't worry I won't start any EFI vs carb arguments :) The Holley setup sounds really nice based on feedback from some owners on here so it's a possibility depending on the rest of the engine plans (or lack thereof). It would be nice to avoid having to pull the motor out AFTER she's all pretty, even if it means having the work done before it really needed it, because eventually it will.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Best to do engine work before body work is what everybody says incase of fender dings or hood. I have looked into the edelbrock and holley efi and they both look good but the edelbrock has the computer remotely mounted which i like because you can mount it in the cab and keep it away from heat and water.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Best to do engine work before body work is what everybody says incase of fender dings or hood. I have looked into the edelbrock and holley efi and they both look good but the edelbrock has the computer remotely mounted which i like because you can mount it in the cab and keep it away from heat and water.
Thanks for that! I wasn't thinking about Edelbrock but definitely something to bring up. And that's kind of what I'm worried about with the bodywork. The motor runs pretty good, not sure how MUCH it's burning, but do I really want to wait? I mean I don't WANT to wait, but I also need to stay married. Haha.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Here is what I would do... pull the front clip and the motor, transmission, and transfer case: take the shell to be painted, then clean up the transmission and transfer case. Get a long block and have them install the long block as they are cleaning up the frame.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Here is what I would do... pull the front clip and the motor, transmission, and transfer case: take the shell to be painted, then clean up the transmission and transfer case. Get a long block and have them install the long block as they are cleaning up the frame.
Man I wish I had the time and know-how to pull it out myself and then bring it in, but I just wouldn't ever get done. I know I want to keep the old motor, barring any unforeseen issues. I don't even know if the transfer case works at this point!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Lol yes the marriage is more important than the inanimate object. Engine work ain't cheap if somebody does it for you. I was burning/leaking over a quart a month when I rebuilt the 258 in my yj but only rebuilt it then for emissions reasons. Apparently the tailpipe sniffer does not like burnt oil. It had about 250 k on the dial so as long as it's not going through a quart a month I'd say its good but I stretch things out close to the limits because I know 50 wt motorcycle oil helps if oil pressure is low at idle(bearings worn beyond limits) i don't worry when my truck burns and leaks oil, it's when it stops leaking and burning i worry lol. Also the oil leak is what saved the frame on that from rustng out. At 150k i wouldn't worry about the engine but thats me. My excursion has 245k still original and strong. Take care of her and she will take care of you. I would say gears and seal up axles (harder to check and it holds less oil so to me I'm less likely to check it but ill check my engine oil in the rain where I'm not laying on the ground in the rain to check axle gear oil) so axle gears and seal them axles up then body work is what I would do.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Lol yes the marriage is more important than the inanimate object. Engine work ain't cheap if somebody does it for you. I was burning/leaking over a quart a month when I rebuilt the 258 in my yj but only rebuilt it then for emissions reasons. Apparently the tailpipe sniffer does not like burnt oil. It had about 250 k on the dial so as long as it's not going through a quart a month I'd say its good but I stretch things out close to the limits because I know 50 wt motorcycle oil helps if oil pressure is low at idle(bearings worn beyond limits) i don't worry when my truck burns and leaks oil, it's when it stops leaking and burning i worry lol. Also the oil leak is what saved the frame on that from rustng out. At 150k i wouldn't worry about the engine but thats me. My excursion has 245k still original and strong. Take care of her and she will take care of you. I would say gears and seal up axles (harder to check and it holds less oil so to me I'm less likely to check it but ill check my engine oil in the rain where I'm not laying on the ground in the rain to check axle gear oil) so axle gears and seal them axles up then body work is what I would do.
All great points and you are absolutely correct! :ROFLMAO: I guess I AM glad it's still dripping and there's still pressure according to my dummy gauge!

·
Registered
1984 Bronco, 4.9L, C6, 8.8, 44 TTB, 3.54 Gears
223 Posts
Yep, that's kind of what I'm figuring, honestly. The goal is a nice cruiser, local show grade truck (nothing crazy, but nice) as we get everything done over time. And the interior will be stripped before it goes into the shop. That I can do. The engine and gears may wait as it's probably cheaper to "subcontract" myself instead of have him do it for me, but I like getting everyone's take on it. It'd just be really nice to get everything done at once, but I know you gotta pay. Maybe he'll take one look at me and just think "man, this guy needs a break." hah.

Most of the chrome trim is purchased and just waiting for it's turn to be installed! Hoping to be able to reuse all of the side trim, it's in really good shape if I can bring the shine back. Can't wait to get to that point.
Whatever you do, be sure to post pics when it’s all done!

·
Registered
882 Posts
Man I wish I had the time and know-how to pull it out myself and then bring it in, but I just wouldn't ever get done. I know I want to keep the old motor, barring any unforeseen issues. I don't even know if the transfer case works at this point!
Pulling the engine is just as hard as pulling a starter. Unhook all the wires and vacuum lines, label everything and take pictures. Make sure to unbolt the TQ converter before you unbolt the transmission bell housing to engine block bolts. Have a jack to support the transmission bell hosing. It’s not hard, just time Consuming.

·
Registered
30 Posts
All great points and you are absolutely correct! :ROFLMAO: I guess I AM glad it's still dripping and there's still pressure according to my dummy gauge!
Yes I would recommend a real gauge although I don't have one in any of my trucks lol but it will give you an actual pressure reading and I dont like putting holes in the factory dash. Maybe floor mount with some sheet metal screws. Keep her running and enjoy her she loves the open road fix them axles and look into body work that engine has a few years at least left in her. It carbureted currently?

1 - 20 of 54 Posts