Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Didn't fee like spending $140 on both sets of these. Was thinking maybe buy the XLT one's, which
are still crazy money @ $35 each, and hand paint the black back in other badges. Any other ideas?

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
17,667 Posts
Soak em in paint stripper and clean em up. Then paint the inset bits. Id at least try it before shelling out big bucks. Rinse in acetone, xylene, or good lacquer thinner. Buff the chrome bits you want to show before painting.

Use a bonding primer, then a self levelling paint for best results. XIM400 is a great bonding primer.

You could go buy some cheap wax candles and melt them down on a cookie sheet with wax paper. Just a very very thin layer. Then lightly set the emblems face down to coat just the polished faces, then remove and hang face down for the wax to harden back up. Then spray paint and then remove the wax once dry

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
17,667 Posts
Yo OX,
Some have a local automotive paint shop mix up
aerosol spray cans or cans.
Many bigger paint stores can add any paint to an aerosol can, oil or water base. We had one many years ago, but the tech was new and not real reliable back then. The machine is a couple thousand bucks, so most stores probably wont have one.

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Many bigger paint stores can add any paint to an aerosol can, oil or water base. We had one many years ago, but the tech was new and not real reliable back then. The machine is a couple thousand bucks, so most stores probably wont have one.
The place I just had paint mixed for painting bronco has that ability. Not so much worried about the paint, as how to keep it off the chrome.
The wax sounds like a good idea, have to think about that one some more. I might do the XLT's new, as they have heavy pitts in chrome and probably a lot
harder to match that orange/red, than just satin black.

Reactions: BigBlue 94

·
Addicted to Junk
17,667 Posts
There is also a product called liquid mask made by associated paint. Hang the emblems upside down on some cardboard and roll it on with a foam roller. Its used for painting around windows and such. It is a bit pricey though.

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There is also a product called liquid mask made by associated paint. Hang the emblems upside down on some cardboard and roll it on with a foam roller. Its used for painting around windows and such. It is a bit pricey though.
I'll give it a look, thanks for the heads up.

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Any progress? @OX1
Nope. Took her to a show the other night. Otherwise, I'm done for now.
Might get back on this in the winter, when I can't do much else.

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So getting back on this. Going to order the XLT's and fix up the Bronco/Ranger's.
What kind of paint do we think will stick to "chrome"?

Thinking about something thick, but runny, and using a small eye dropper.
Might even just try POR-15, very thick paint but has a dismal track record
sticking to smooth surfaces.

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'll look into it, thanks!!

·
Addicted to Junk
17,667 Posts
So getting back on this. Going to order the XLT's and fix up the Bronco/Ranger's.
What kind of paint do we think will stick to "chrome"?

Thinking about something thick, but runny, and using a small eye dropper.
Might even just try POR-15, very thick paint but has a dismal track record
sticking to smooth surfaces.
Water based direct to metal. Its sticky as hell and durable. We have had it on the roofs of a local cellophane plant for nearing 10 years now. The air there is thick with acidic chemicals: sulfuric acid and the like. Though getting it in anything smaller than a quart is nigh impossible.

Lauer Custom Weaponry has their duracoat product in small containers. Its super tough stuff

1 - 13 of 13 Posts