Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For starters a little bit about the truck and the purchase. I purchased my 1994 Ford Bronco XLT with a 5.8 351 motor for $700. The truck came with a plow frame welded to the front end. There is also a trailer towing package. There is a lot of interior work to be done to the truck, but I would like to work from the outside in. The body is in ok condition, except for a lot of rust on the bottom near the wheel wells and doors. It looks like some work has been done to the rear quarter panel because it is primer black. What I was figuring to do was to sand the whole truck down to the metal before beginning restoring the rust. My first question is that would this be the right thing to do first or at all? Also, when I go to sand the truck down, would a normal power sander or grinding wheel do the trick, and what would the best grade of paper be for the job?

Moving onto the second part of the process is where i need the most advice. I have heard of some restoration materials such as bondo, ect. Would this be the best course of action and the best material to use? Also I know I am going to have to fill the rust holes, but at this I am also confused.

After the rust is all fixed or welded over ect, the process seems rather common sense. I plan to use black rust protecting primer for a coat or two. After the primer dries i then plan to paint the truck smurf blue, and the removable top some shade of light maroon (just like papa smurf, lol!). I have an air compressor, and paint spray guns. Should I invest in a power sander or grinder? What type of paper or grindstone should I use?

Thank you so much for any advice. i will be monitoring the thread.

·
Premium Member
4,002 Posts
first off welcome. as for patching the holes the best way would be to use metal, lots of places to get panels. lmc, jbg to name two. a snder would be fine for paint, but a grinding wheel/disk would be faster and you will need the grider to cut out any rust you may find

1 - 4 of 4 Posts