Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i call up my mechanic who is putting 351W in...
This is the same engine that was in my truck originally...
So you'd think it would fit one again eh?

So i call, and the guy says "Uh, yeah, so uh, we a'had to go and cut into the frame to get that engine in..."

The cut in to the frame to fit the headers in. :banghead The headers that i'm going to replace eventually.

No phone call. no warning. just " We had to cut into the frame and it's already done."

I'm unsure of actual structural integrity issues, but anyone want to toss out some opinions? anyone ever have to do this? i'll have some pics of it soon, but as of yet i haven't seen it yet. But i'm of the opinion that cutting the frame at any time can't help structural integrity.

I may end up being really mad.

Opinions?

Other than that i'm an idiot?

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
I would never cut a frame of a customers truck and I would think twice about cutting it even if the customer asked me to. Get pics of what they did. It may be a simple notch that may not hurt all that much.

·
Premium Member
151 Posts
There is no way he should have cut the frame if that is what came out of the truck. I replace the enigine in my 83 Bronco to a 351W and the only reason I had to trim the frame the headers I had did not go to that truck. They were for a Mustang GT. They worked fine on my 302 but were in the way for the 351W. But I've had that truck 5-6 feet off of the ground and it didn't hurt it.

·
Wrenching for a Livin'
6,949 Posts
either way, he should have called you first. I would get the police on him or call the better business buearo, or sue him.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
I love getting to be the oppressor.....even if it is by default!
Screw the rest of the world......I want more than my fair share.....and if I want to burn 10X my share of natural resources thats just too friggen bad for the rest.....I am also a American, and its about time we started placing some real pressure on this planet we have under our thump!

Sorry for the off topic.....but what the hell.

·
Teddy Bear
2,209 Posts
magnumpi said:
either way, he should have called you first. I would get the police on him or call the better business buearo, or sue him.

i agree, why would you cut a frame to get a piece of equipment in that was already there, without even consaulting you, now thats messed up

·
green ones make me horny
11,136 Posts
holy crap i dont think you even have to cut into the frame for a 460 swap. there is so much room in these trucks. i would go check it out and get a lawyer, it sounds like he fvcked up your truck

·
Zombie Hunter
13,686 Posts
Do you have before pictures of the frame?

Your gonna need pictures of before and after when you take him to small claims court.....at least thats what i would be doing.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
you need to see how bad and what happened first.

·
12B/88M
178 Posts
:wtf

I'd just shoot 'em....over and over and over and over and over
and click click

:enforce

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Bronco Rob said:
Do you have before pictures of the frame?

Your gonna need pictures of before and after when you take him to small claims court.....at least thats what i would be doing.
um..ya know i didn't think to get into the engine bay and take pictures of the frame rail. for some reason it never occurred to me.

i'm really mad now.

i went down there just now. it looks bad to me. i'm really going to freak out soon.

·
Ex Navy Nuke
5,421 Posts
Time for a law suit, sounds to me like they need to buy you a new Bronco. They are really full of shit on the "not enough room". When I swapped to my 351W on my 90 I had my headers already bolted on(Bassani equal length shorties) and dropped it in and bolted it right up to the trans with no problems(and I did it by myself, no helper). I think I "bumped" the frame a couple times but that was b/c I had the motor mounts bolted to the block and they were getting in the way. There is planty of room. Bottom line they admitted they cut the frame. Whether they say they needed to or not doesn't matter because they DIDN'T need to, this has been done by many people w/o problems. By cutting it they weakened it and I would say law suit or at least a threat of a law suit. Don't worry about before pics, nobody would think to have before pics for something like that. Just get after pics and if you want get pics of what it should look like from a JY truck or a friends.

·
Zombie Hunter
13,686 Posts
Well the idea of "cutting the frame" is bad to me. (As Chris85XLT and i have had long discussions about this in the past) People are adding things to strengthen the frame and attempting to make it as rigid as possible. Ford is claiming one of the most rigid frames in their F-150's now a days. By cutting sections OUT of the frame, they have technically weakened the frame, making it less rigid. And depending on what they "cut" with they could have ruined a good portion of your frame.

·
Engineer
13,165 Posts
How about some pics of the damage

·
Lick my balls
13,023 Posts
There is no way he should have cut anything without running it past you. With that said, I had to notch my frame a little to allow clearance for the header when the motor torques.

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
Stick a tape recorder in your pocket and get his dumb ass admitting to cutting it..Simple. Then get you a new bronc outta this deal, there is NO reason to modify frame rails for headers...PERIOD.

·
Lick my balls
13,023 Posts
BigBroncoXLT said:
Stick a tape recorder in your pocket and get his dumb ass admitting to cutting it..Simple. Then get you a new bronc outta this deal, there is NO reason to modify frame rails for headers...PERIOD.
So if one of your headers is making contact with the frame, you'll just leave it and let the frame wear a hole in the header?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts