Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Salt-Man
1,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Retreads popped into my head yesterday, so I decided to look and see if they retread mud tires? and I did find some listed on-line, and alot cheapier then new ones, now if I'm going out to tear them up in the Blood and the Guts of the Earth anyways, it sounds like a good idea? anyone have any experience with them? any thoughts about them?....Thanks :duh

·
Premium Member
4,161 Posts
Back 'in the day' (early 70s) when we raced 4x4 MX and it was lot more popular and prevalent than it is now..there was not such a wide selection of suitable tires to choose from as there is now and we bought a lot of custom retreads..agressive tread profiles laid on to otherwise 'street' type tires. Never a problem..but never really put any street/pavement time on 'em either.

What sizes and tread types have you found re available now?

·
Salt-Man
1,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was looking at 35x12.50x15 mud tires mainly for offroad use with little street time bmc69. these are two places that popped up to the top of the search page, http://www.crossdillontire.com and http://treadwright.com treadwright lists that tires price at $95 with a aggressive tread pattern, when I go to buy tires I am thinking about going this route? they are going to be used offroad anyhow with a high possibility of getting tore up, so why not retreads, over the road truckers use them

·
Premium Member
12,534 Posts
over the road truckers use them

No, not all over the road truckers use them. Retreads are a very dangerous tire on a semi and if you look closely at the "gators" laying on the road it will be a whole cap of the tire. They seperate very easily and would put a windshield out in a car with no problem. It is basically the cheap truckers that use retreads, they safety conscious will use virgin rubber all day long.

Now for retreads on a mud tire, why not? If there going to be off road it is not like you will hurt someone or something if they seperate.

·
Salt-Man
1,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you Ranger, I knew that would get your attention!!! the offroad use is my point exactly. I am not talking about a daily driver here

·
Registered
455 Posts
I used to run a set of retreads on an old Scout, with no problems. I see nothing wrong with offroad use, but wouldn't run them at interstate speeds. The heat of extended running is what causes the separation problems.
Just examine them often.

·
search, you #$%@! noob
9,995 Posts
one of the guys in the NE chapter we used to wheel with ran those hi tec retreads. he was not real happy with his. i was considering a set for myself until then.

·
Salt-Man
1,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am just talking about mild street drive time, this truck will never see the highway, just around town and to the trails and back . I would rather rip a hole in the side of a $100 tire then tear a hole in a $400 tire, plus buying all four for the price of one super swamper works for me, plus the technology has vastly improved

·
Registered
455 Posts
..... plus the technology has vastly improved
That's very true. I read an article about that recently; seems the newer retreads are MUCH better than the older stuff.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I put a couple of thousand miles, highway and city on mine and never had a problem. I'm guessing semi's put a few more miles on tires than I do. Again, I had mine up to 85mph for extended periods and never a problem. And the green diamond technology works. They were great in the rain.

·
Registered
11,108 Posts
No, not all over the road truckers use them. Retreads are a very dangerous tire on a semi and if you look closely at the "gators" laying on the road it will be a whole cap of the tire. They seperate very easily and would put a windshield out in a car with no problem. It is basically the cheap truckers that use retreads, they safety conscious will use virgin rubber all day long.
We use retreads on all of our drive and air axle tires for our tri-axles and tractors/trailers at work, but the steering axles always get new tires. We haven't had a problem with tread separation in 6+ years.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts