Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1991's did not even come with key pad door locks much less any other type of electronic security. Have any of you installed an RFID system into your ride? If so please give me some feedback.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
OK, no owners have ever installed this type of security system for theft protection? Hard to believe. This key with encryption sequence code which makes your vehicle very hard to start without the key has been around for a while. It can be foiled by computer techs who are able to read the code off your key but it will whart the run of the mill hot wire thief. Still no feedback?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Are you talking about the PATS system ford used? That came out in 1996, and is part of the engine computer.

I dont think you can retro fit it to a 91. You would need to find a computer that has PATS built in, but they never made a PATS computer that would run your motor/tranny combination.

Maybe if you had a 302/4r70w combo out of a v8 explorer put in your rig, with a PATS capable computer, then you could do it.

Otherwise, your looking at standard aftermarket options like Cliford, Viper, etc.

If you want custom, they do sell a remote control relay that replaces one of your power relays under the hood. Even if they break into the car and bust the ignition or try to hotwire under the dash, the relay will still kill power to things like the fuel pump, or computer. Have to pop the hood in order to change the relay, assuming you know about it.

·
Registered
518 Posts
He wants the numbers on the door you use to unlock it that style,I have seen it on lincoln towncars of the same age so it could work but never tried doing that.The easiest thing would be a aftermarket alarm system vs trying to make a 20 something old ford system work.My security system is a shotgun and a big dog.

·
Premium Member
5,774 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
He wants the numbers on the door you use to unlock it that style,I have seen it on lincoln towncars of the same age so it could work but never tried doing that.The easiest thing would be a aftermarket alarm system vs trying to make a 20 something old ford system work.My security system is a shotgun and a big dog.
The early 90s keyads were purely lock/unlock of doors with just basic horn honk if door opened. Inserting the key and turning the ignition was one way to disable the alarm (or just break the ignition cylinder and turn). My grandfathers 89 thunderbird SuperCoupe had that system. No ignition protection like the newer style PATS.

Only the PATS system used the special key, and early PATS systems I dont believe were encrypted, just encoded (you could sniff the code and still steal the car). Later PATS systems were encrypted to prevent sniffing, and you needed TWO matching keys to reprogram it.

Again, PATS is built into the ECM, as it can disable the ignition system. I installed a 1996 explorer into a 36 ford coupe, and we had to send the computer out to disable the PATS, as the owner was using an aftermarket column and didnt want to use the PATS compatible column with the RF transceiver for the key.

He could grab an original Ford Factory Alarm from a pre-96 vehicle with the keypad and install that no problem, but the whole RFID chip key thing is gonna be a no go.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the input. No numbers on doors, CarbonCanyon has it right, not PATS but a separate module which reads the encryption off of your key or keypad and allows the vehicle to start. No key/keypad no start.

·
Forward Some Money
5,047 Posts
If you go aftermarket, and you find ANYTHING by any part of the Hoffman Group (Autoloc, Stellar, etc) ...avoid their crap like the plague. I thought I saw a transponder type ignition/start/security product from them at a Goodguys show.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Seems like a lot of trouble for not much reward. Just hide a cutoff switch somewhere that won't send power to the computer/fuel pump whichever you prefer.

If anyone wants your truck though, they will just tow it away regardless of what system you have on there.

·
Forward Some Money
5,047 Posts
Seems like a lot of trouble for not much reward. Just hide a cutoff switch somewhere that won't send power to the computer/fuel pump whichever you prefer.

If anyone wants your truck though, they will just tow it away regardless of what system you have on there.
Generally, the intention is to make it inconvenient for the casual thief/joyrider so he/she/it gets frustrated and moves to something else. Deter opportunistic theft. Not intended to stop someone who has specifically targeted your car.

I don't like the idea of killing power to the computer, as then has to re-learn.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I don't like the idea of killing power to the computer, as then has to re-learn.
Two 12v wires to the computer. Keep Alive, and Run. You kill the power to the Run wire/relay, and leave the Keep Alive wire alone, and it wont have to relearn anything. Same as a memory wire on a radio.

A super fast option for almost ANY rig is the Cyclops remote control relay. You swap it for one of your regular relays and unless you have the remote to activate it, it wont pass power.

http://www.emergingent.com/retail/ford-diesel/

We used them on the Ford Powerstroke for years, as they just drop right into the fuse box and keeps the truck from being hotwired or ignition busted and driven away, which is SUPER COMMON on the Super Duty.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts