Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

Revelco...anti-theft system?

3K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Daves 88' 
#1 ·
I have some personal experience in how ineffective alarm systems are. I recall a car that I installed a top of the line Clifford system in (with a kill starter and backup battery). Apparently thieves were able to get around the cookie cutter alarm system I had installed. That car had very little extra invested, just a few grand in stereo and intake/exhaust equipment. Insurance was adequate and I just bought something else, no biggie. I myself can't recall the last time I actually investigated a car who's alarm was going off.

As many here already know, if your Bronco gets jacked you're only going to get $2-6k back from insurance (depending on your ride). Just enough to find another starter Bronco that you can begin spending the money on. Anyway, I'm looking for a silver bullet to keep my tires in one place. I want to leave my stock Ford alarm system in place and simply install a device that makes it impossible to start the vehicle, not just a simple hidden kill switch that can be traced by wires or bypassed. Does anyone have any experience with the Revelco system? I've heard some good things but looking for feedback and options on what you guys do to protect your investment. I don't live in a shitty neighborhood and my work has a secure lot, but when I go on trips you don't always have the best, most secure locations... Just curious what you guys do to keep your drivetrain in one place. A missing stereo system isn't that big of a deal to me.

http://www.ravelco.com/

See less See more
#2 ·
Even though it is old, I have a Viper 300 with a custom 6 tone alarm hooked up. It has AED, which means that after you lock it with the remote, you have to open it with the remote or else the starter is disengaged. So if they busted your window and tried to hotwire, they couldn't because the ignition circuit is closed.

#3 ·
I have separate hidden switches for coil kill, starter kill, and battery cut-off. It's all for my own minor personal comfort, and only keeps the low experienced auto thief/joy rider/punk at bay. In reality, if a professional auto thief wants your ride, they are going to get it eventually. Luckily for us average Bronco owners, we aren't high on the hit list.

#4 ·
Yes, fortunately we're not high on the high list. However, major investments going into my Bronco which is why I was looking at the Revelco system. If it takes a Revelco technician to defeat it, I'd rather spend my cash on this one item than a whole alarm system. Alarms are crap, nobody pays any attn to them. And I'd rather not have to engage multiple switches each time I walk away from the truck, it's a pain. It'll also confuse the shit out of my fiance when she needs to drive it.

#7 ·
I saw the company a while back and it seems to be a very good setup. Only problem that I would forsee with it is if you ever loose or damaged the plug while your out in the back 40. Some of the places I like to go they would charge ya $75 just to go out there. Plus, if ya lost it on Saturday evening, how long would it take to get a spare key if you needed one for work on Monday morning? All that being said, I would probably invest in one eventually, and then make my own schematic for bypassing it if I had to out in the woods.

#8 ·
Aside from the usual messing up the splines on the plug, I have heard nothing but accolades about Ravelco. That is the one anti-theft device that is 100% effective, as long as you are responsible with the plugs. An alarm is an added tool for the owner. I wouldn't want a thief to steel my radio, or anything else inside the vehicle, because I didn't install an alarm .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.