Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to wire in another reverse lights and was wondering if anyone here has done it and how they wired them. Pics are also appreciated:thumbup Thanks guys!

·
Formerly vt89gtvert
2,425 Posts
A switch would be the easiest, and allow you to turn them on when you are not in reserve. Not sure if there is an legal issue with having them without covers of something to keep you from blinding other drivers though.

It would be easy to wire then using a relay and a signal coming from the current lights or trailer hitch wiring. Then add another switch so you can turn them on when needed. That way if the police say something you can show them how putting the vehicle in reservse turns them on....

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Would it be possible to tap into the power and ground of the stock lights? Maybe even off of the trailer wiring since I never use it? Anyone know which wires I would need to tap into?

·
A broke kid with a bronco
4,065 Posts
If its a round connector from ford read the cover it tells you what pin does what. I think its the top right though. Hook a line from that wire to #85 on the relay and a ground to #86. Then hook a hot (fused) to #30 on the relay. After hook pin #87 to the lights. Ground the lights and tada. It should work. To have an manual on switch hook the control wire from the switch to #85 on the relay.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If its a round connector from ford read the cover it tells you what pin does what. I think its the top right though. Hook a line from that wire to #85 on the relay and a ground to #86. Then hook a hot (fused) to #30 on the relay. After hook pin #87 to the lights. Ground the lights and tada. It should work. To have an manual on switch hook the control wire from the switch to #85 on the relay.
Cool thanks man I appreciate the quick response. Ill letcha know how it turns out.

PS. When you said a hot fused wire, you mean from the battery or power source right? and the line to the connector would act as the switch correct?

·
4,065 Posts
If it would be me I would use a hit from the battery to take off the load of the stock (old) wiring harness.

And the line to the connected would indeed act as the switch.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If it would be me I would use a hit from the battery to take off the load of the stock (old) wiring harness.

And the line to the connected would indeed act as the switch.
Any way that I could use a power source other than the battery? thats just a ton of wire being ran under the truck.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Any way that I could use a power source other than the battery? thats just a ton of wire being ran under the truck.
You only need to run one wire (+) hot to the relay under the truck; from there, you could mount the relay and run the rest of the wires from the back.

·
Super Moderator
27,017 Posts
yo,
If you have the trailer 7 blade plug

Pin Number Circuit Circuit Function
1 963 (BK/LB) Trailer Backup Lamps
2 49 (O) Trailer Battery Charge
3 64 (DG) Trailer RH Turn Signal
4 43 (DB) Trailer Brakes
5 206 (W) Trailer Ground
6 52 (Y) Trailer LH Turn Signal
7 962 (BR/W) Trailer Running Lamps

==========
or; Stock
Black/Pink to Back-Up Lamps
w black as Ground

by Ford via by Steve83

Attachments

·
Formerly vt89gtvert
2,425 Posts
Just run power from the battery to a relay. Then run a line from either the trailer wiring or from the current reverse light to signal the relay to turn on. It really doesn't draw that much power from the source to switch a relay. You should easily be able to ground the relay and the lights to your frame.

Then if you so wish you can run a line from the cab and put in on the same terminal as the input from then current reverse lights to turn the lights on when you so desire.

·
Registered
7,922 Posts
I hate hacking into the factory harness so I ran my power all the way from the battery. Switched in the cab.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok so its been forever and a day since I wanted to get to this and now I finally have, and low and behold the ground wire on my hitch wiring doesnt work. Now I know how easy it would be to just ground somewhere else, but I want to keep this super clean and it bothers me knowing it doesnt work( I know there are atleast a few others on here that are the same way haha). So besides the easy stuff like cleaning the ground and making sure its not cracked how can I figure this out? I know it grounds to the frame on the driver side right behind the gas tank (right?). is there any other way I can test it?

·
Registered
816 Posts
replace the wire.

·
Super Moderator
27,017 Posts
....So besides the easy stuff like cleaning the ground and making sure its not cracked how can I figure this out? I know it grounds to the frame on the driver side right behind the gas tank (right?). is there any other way I can test it?...
yo,
Ground Wire Location (Rear Frame) Diagram
Item Part Number Description
1 13A409 Wiring Assembly
2 N801846-S36MG Screw
3 14405 Wiring Assembly
4 Locators, Position in Holes Provided (Part of 14405)
5 Trailer Tow Ground Wire (Part of 14405) This is G401 @ LH rear underneath corner of cargo area, near rear lamp assembly

6 14086 Wiring Assembly
A Tighten to 5-7 Nm (44-62 Lb-In)

Test:
check for corrosion in connector and terminals
Test pin 5 to ground using a meter on R setting; should show 0 ohms...wiggle connector, then wiggle harness; wiggle wire;

Pin Number Circuit Circuit Function
1 963 (BK/LB) Trailer Backup Lamps
2 49 (O) Trailer Battery Charge
3 64 (DG) Trailer RH Turn Signal
4 43 (DB) Trailer Brakes
5 206 (W) Trailer Ground
6 52 (Y) Trailer LH Turn Signal
7 962 (BR/W) Trailer Running Lamps

Attachments

·
4,065 Posts
Off topic some: I got my backup lights installed. I used a relay and put it behind my d-side tail light. I rewired the tailgate using relays and already had a larger hot wire I added there. I also soldered a wire inline of the backup light.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts