Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really want to clean up my engine compartment and also make all my electrical simple and heavy duty. I am thinking of removing the ECM, and everything with it. I would like to have only the neccesary wiring for starting the vehicle and lights. Lights are no prob. But I am not totally sure how to rewire the distributor, coil, and alternator together with the starter relay in one simple configuration. My truck is a 85, 351w, carburated. I imagine that old dragsters dont run on much else so why cant I?

·
Rest in Peace Friend...
611 Posts
If you want to get rid of the stock Ford ignition, buy a MSD6 and rewire for that. Do the 3G alternator and headlight wiring upgrades. I wouldn't recommend that you gut the vacuum system completely since some of it is for cold start and run, ignition advance, cold weather intake air temperature control and if you have A/C you would want to keep the Throttle Kicker control.

I do not recommend this but If emissions isn't a concern,You could drop EGR on a carbed engine and perhaps the thermactor components and controls. I'd keep the evaporative emissions, at least the section of it that is used by the gas tank, (this part relieves the pressure in the tank when it expands in the hot sun).

That will clean up some of the compartment,

1 - 2 of 2 Posts