Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just moved to the Kansas City area this last winter, and it snowed like every other day. That means a lot of salt. My bronco is basically rust free since it has spent it's whole life in the panhandle of Texas.

I would like to prevent the rust in my wheel wells by rhino lining them and a strip a couple of inches wide on the rocker panels, over the wheel wells to the bumper. Does anyone have a setup similar to this? If so how much did it cost and how much do you think it helps?

·
Registered
7,923 Posts
Lots of people have done it, search around and you'll find the answer.

·
Chrome gets me home
2,903 Posts
you could look at the undercoating system, i cant remember the name of it but its a protective layer they put on, rhino lining is good it just adds alot of weight depending on how thick you put it on (or have someone else do it) a while back some onesaid they did their entire truck and it eventually just rusted from the inside out...?

·
Registered
586 Posts
I know a lot of guys who have done this.... if you want to do the undercarriage its a lot of work.... but just the wheel wells and the lower portions of the body are easy and can be done your self.... get some 80 grit sand paper and some tape.... tape off your line you want....scuff the hell out of the area you will apply, and use Herculiner from pepboys...(no this is not what I use, I have actual spray guns and machines, for those who may inquire).... you go in 3 or 4 very light coats.... the forst two will look like crap, don't worry about it... 3 and/or 4 are for the appearance.... I know many guys who have done this and it comes out looking great...

·
Registered
461 Posts
I just finished doing something like this on mine...after fixing my rust issues of course. I did the inside of the wheel wells, the outside of the body (a "little" more than just the first few inches) up on the hood and did the entire top as well....

got some shots in my signature, and more on photobucket if you want to see them..

·
Chrome gets me home
2,903 Posts
The wheelwells are mostly plastic, so it's utterly pointless. And Rhino isn't an effective undercoating, anyway. It conducts too much noise, and doesn't adhere well enough. Use common spray-on rubberized undercoating.
stuff works well if you let it set up the way they tell you too...im just too damn impatient :banghead :banghead :banghead

·
Registered
461 Posts
The inside of the fender wells is what he was referring to I think...and it makes sense to coat them, as long as they are not already rusting...if they are rusting, then that will continue whether you coat them or not. get rid of any rust and the spray the hell out of them...

·
Premium Member
8,518 Posts
The problem with the inner wheel wells - its a pocket that holds the wet dirt and salt. Cleaning it out well and often is your best option, and use some sort of waxy rust proofing yearly in there.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The inside of the fender wells is what he was referring to I think...and it makes sense to coat them, as long as they are not already rusting...if they are rusting, then that will continue whether you coat them or not. get rid of any rust and the spray the hell out of them...

You are correct, I am refering to the inside of the wheel wells as well as the rocker panels. There is no rust yet, that's what I am trying to prevent. In fact the only place I have rust on my bronco is some light surface rust that caused my windshield to leak.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah, those. They're mostly plastic.:scratchhe If it's light, and only on the surface, how did it cause the w/s adhesive to fail?
How do they rust so bad if they are mostly plastic? Maybe we are not talking about the same thing.

As far as the windshield goes, it was just enough to get under the adhesive. It was caused by a crappy repair job on it a long time ago where silicone was applied. The person at the windshield place said silicone is a contaminate that promotes rust in areas like that. They wire-brushed it off and put some primer with an anti-rust agent in it to try and keep it from coming back/spreading.

·
Premium Member
8,518 Posts
The front wheelwells are ENTIRELY plastic - nothing but.

The rears are only steel at the tops of the arches, and inboard. Their fronts & backs are plastic flaps.
Ok Mr. Persnickety, you knew what area he was talking about protecting. :histerica

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.