Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i am running 31" mickey tompson baja belted tires... my bronco will not stay in over drive on the highway at 70 it will start off in OD and then after a minute or two it will drop down a gear and run at close to 3000 RPM's this is killing my gas milage, can eny of u help me solve my problem or is it just the 31's?

·
hates EVERYTHING!
11,456 Posts
riddel? Don't they make football helmets?
Anyway, how wide are they...the reason I ask is thats the same kinda charcteristics you run into with big tires and high gears...maybe your runnin' a wide tire causeing undo drag and the Broncs having to work for it..:shrug

·
Registered
57 Posts
Same problem I'm having with my truck. I've been told that it is a vacuum switch inside the trans. About $400.00 to have a shop repair. Personally, just waiting till summer and having it rebuilt completly

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
there 11 1/2" wide... and as far as how much throtle am i giving it i set it on cruz control so the comp is doin its own little thing

·
Registered
140 Posts
Try having your TV cable adjusted(hooks to throttle body).Most AODs work off hydraulic pressure rather than vacuum.It may need re-adjusting due to the tire size.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
is this sumthing i can do myself...? or do i need to take it to a machenic to have done... cuz i realy have no idea what a TV cable is other than the thing that comes out of my telavision :)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok today me and my dad were goin to adjust my TV cable... he kinda read about it in the hanes manual and went out to find it and what not... sept i dont think my bronco has a TV cable... the only cables running to my throtlebody are a throtle cable... and my cruz control cable we looked under neeth for bout 20 minutes tryen to find that cable by the tranny but there was no such thing alls we found was the linkage and a few lines but they were screwed in the tranny so im prety sure that it wasnt iether of them... however we did mess with the cruz control cable by just adjusting it out one notch and it seemed to help quite a bit... just wondering what yalls diagnosis on this would be... and also how much is a trany rebuild for instance to have it rebuilt a shift kit put on and the trany beefed up a lil bit to? thanks for enything yall can help with as always

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.
10,871 Posts
:twak
94's had E4OD's and 4R70W tranies guys :duh

Your problem is little engine, heavy vehicle, big tires, no gear change.
Fix one of those and it will go away
Biger engine
lighter truck
smaller tires
gear swap (oh thats the one :twak )

OR you could stop being a pu$$y and drive faster.
70MPH for you right now is only 1900RPM way to low for that engine
Drive 80MPH and you'd be at 2200RPM which is more possible for that engine

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
My 91 has 32"s and at an indicated 70 I am running about 2100. I know my actual speed will be higher. I have no problem with overdrive or it wanting to drop into 3rd.

Tim

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
stangmata50l said:
My cruise still doesn't cause me to drop out THAT much. Only on a good incline. I think he has other issues he's got to deal with. That's just my opinion.

I guess but I live in PA, I get on a highway stretch and put her in cruise im always in and out of OD, Im up and down hills and mountains constantly....maybe thats why it sounded normal to me :shrug

1 - 15 of 15 Posts