Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gearing up to one day install a suspension lift. So looking at right angle drills. Uses include:
1. Drilling crossmember for passenger side axle drop bracket
2. Assisting in rivet removal for stock RA brackets
3. Drilling new holes for extended RA brackets
4. Drilling floor tub for suburban seat upgrade, potential cage, etc
5. Anything else

Any preferences on brand, chuck size, head length, or any other watch outs from those who’ve used a right angle drill for suspension lift work? I’d probably be in the used market for a good corded one. Made it 41 years without one and hate to drop new coin on something I don’t see using but once in a blue moon.

·
Driving Stuff Henry Built
-90 xlt, 351w, e4od, man 1356, 3.55, sag, warn hubs, 35s. -73, 400, np435, d20j twin, 35s
7,894 Posts
No lift drilling experience here. But I've used an angle drill a lot. I don't know how tight the space requirements are, but if you're looking used 110v & it fits in the space the Milwaukee D handle right angle drill is a workhorse.

I got my 1/2 Milwaukee used in the 80s. I have no idea how old it is. I've worn out the right angle gear box, but other than that it's been trouble free. Gearbox swap takes about 5 minutes. Depending on which way you mount it the gearbox increases speed or increases torque. I use it for self feeding bits thru lumber for plumbing, so the lower speed/higher torque setup works for me. Occasionally it drives a 5" core bit thru a curb. Plenty of oomph. When I loan it on a jobsite I warn the guy that it'll knock him right off a ladder. Half the time they come back embarrassed & laughing that it did. You always have to prepare for the kick if it binds. I brace it on a stud when possible. Under a truck you'd want to plan to not have it pinch your hand against the frame or ground.

Not mine, but similar to this. The right angle gearbox rotates 360 degrees so the handle can be placed as you want it.

So, I don't have much experience with other angle drills, because I'm still using this one. I do have a dewalt cordless for small tight space work, but it's in a different class altogether.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the recommendation. I've seen a fair amount of those D-handle Milwaukees for sale. My biggest concern is fitting something between the crossmember and oil pan on my truck, so the head length will be important. I'll keep this guy in mind, and appreciate the advice on getting tossed around by it. My body positioning is almost always poor until that first mushed-hand cussing.

·
Super Moderator
14,918 Posts
No lift drilling experience here. But I've used an angle drill a lot. I don't know how tight the space requirements are, but if you're looking used 110v & it fits in the space the Milwaukee D handle right angle drill is a workhorse.

I got my 1/2 Milwaukee used in the 80s. I have no idea how old it is. I've worn out the right angle gear box, but other than that it's been trouble free. Gearbox swap takes about 5 minutes. Depending on which way you mount it the gearbox increases speed or increases torque. I use it for self feeding bits thru lumber for plumbing, so the lower speed/higher torque setup works for me. Occasionally it drives a 5" core bit thru a curb. Plenty of oomph. When I loan it on a jobsite I warn the guy that it'll knock him right off a ladder. Half the time they come back embarrassed & laughing that it did. You always have to prepare for the kick if it binds. I brace it on a stud when possible. Under a truck you'd want to plan to not have it pinch your hand against the frame or ground.

Not mine, but similar to this. The right angle gearbox rotates 360 degrees so the handle can be placed as you want it.

So, I don't have much experience with other angle drills, because I'm still using this one. I do have a dewalt cordless for small tight space work, but it's in a different class altogether.
one of those would have been nice to have when I did my axle swap...

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
12,383 Posts
I have a 20v dewalt that works nice and is plenty compact.

The corded Milwaukee I have is significantly smaller and stronger.

Definitely want a 1/2" chuck. You can use silver&deming bits to get larger holes than your chuck size.

Reactions: packagerjr

·
Registered
95 Bronco, 351W, E4OD, 4.56 gears, 35x12.50x15 Patagonia MTs.
331 Posts
I don't see the benefit of a huge 90* drill, I'd look into something like the mikwaukee M12 right angle drill. If access is critical, they are a good choice.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts