Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright guys...picked up my turbine rims over the weekend, and I'm trying to get everything together so I can get on them this weekend. I'm still wondering what the best way to go about getting them polished is.

-I guess the main question is getting the paint off? Just use paint thinner? I'd assume carb cleaner or brake cleaner would work well too. I also read somewhere I could acid dip them, but I dunno what kinda acid to use.

-Then wet sand...figured I'd start out around 600 grit and work my way up to 2000 grit by increments of 200.

-Then the polish...which I figure will be the most labor intensive. Do I just grab some mothers and go at it with a rag/flitz/powerball?

Does that process sound about right? Anything I need to add or I can skip over. I'm also trying to locate a soda blaster to lighten the work load some.

Here is a pics of the rims:

·
Premium Member
529 Posts
Yup, I would suggest stripping them down with Kleenstrip Aircraft paint remover. Put a nice coat of that on let it sit for a few minutes until it starts bubbling up. Remove, then repeat if necessary. Sand it down with 600 (wet sand) then move on up to finer grits. Once you get to around 2000 I would swap over and start using aluminum polish. I did this on a set of Jaguar rims before and they looked amazing, I did it all by hand (lots of time put into it), but I don't see why you couldn't use a dremel or powerball.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Yup, I would suggest stripping them down with Kleenstrip Aircraft paint remover. Put a nice coat of that on let it sit for a few minutes until it starts bubbling up. Remove, then repeat if necessary. Sand it down with 600 (wet sand) then move on up to finer grits. Once you get to around 2000 I would swap over and start using aluminum polish. I did this on a set of Jaguar rims before and they looked amazing, I did it all by hand (lots of time put into it), but I don't see why you couldn't use a dremel or powerball.
x2.

I'd use Mother's and a powerball if it was me. Blue Magic works really well too, especially after you use Mothers.

Are you just polishing the spokes, or are you going to get inbetween them? I think the inbetween areas are factory "textured" or pitted. It might be easier to paint in between the spokes and only polish the surface of the spokes and outer rim.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
media blasting FTW... Got a guy here that hits me $10 a rim.. rubber on or off.

I use rouge and multi stages, orange disc, yellow disce, etc.. sand with 180 then 320, all depends on what you want out of them. Some guys are ecstatic with a Mothers Power Ball job, I need a little more.

go here: http://www.zephyrpro40.com/s2/Scripts/prodList.asp?idCategory=78#

click "resources" ya git a drop down, bottom option is a polishing guide...

·
FSB Pimpster & Recruiter
5,716 Posts
Nice score, you puttin them on the bronco or the F150? The one on the right looks different then the left one, is it just the picture or they both have that lip around where the lugs go?

Media Blasting might be the best way to get all the crud out of them and then lightly sand the rest, before painting or watt you planning on doing to them?

Allcruisen :imp :usa

·
FSB Pimpster & Recruiter
5,716 Posts
Alright guys...picked up my turbine rims over the weekend, and I'm trying to get everything together so I can get on them this weekend. I'm still wondering what the best way to go about getting them polished is.
Did you get the lug nuts also, If not, I have a set somewhere you can have. I believe I even have a Lock set for them, Let me know.

Watt did you get fro center caps? These would look nice also, if they werent so pricey!

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quick question...where can I get this aircraft paint remover? Lowe's?

Are you just polishing the spokes, or are you going to get inbetween them? I think the inbetween areas are factory "textured" or pitted. It might be easier to paint in between the spokes and only polish the surface of the spokes and outer rim.
I was thinking of just polishing the surface of the spokes and outer rim...but I still wanted to get all the old paint off. After that, I'm not sure if I'm gonna spray between the spokes myself or have them poweder coated black.

media blasting FTW... Got a guy here that hits me $10 a rim.. rubber on or off.

I use rouge and multi stages, orange disc, yellow disce, etc.. sand with 180 then 320, all depends on what you want out of them. Some guys are ecstatic with a Mothers Power Ball job, I need a little more.

go here: http://www.zephyrpro40.com/s2/Scripts/prodList.asp?idCategory=78#

click "resources" ya git a drop down, bottom option is a polishing guide...
Thanks for the info man. To try and save a little time and elbow grease, I'm looking for a local soda blaster.

Nice score, you puttin them on the bronco or the F150? The one on the right looks different then the left one, is it just the picture or they both have that lip around where the lugs go?

Thanks man...I was pretty stoked about picking them up. They are the same rims, so it must just be the picture. And they're going on the Bronco.

Did you get the lug nuts also, If not, I have a set somewhere you can have. I believe I even have a Lock set for them, Let me know.

Watt did you get fro center caps? These would look nice also, if they werent so pricey!

Didn't get any lugnuts or center caps...forgot all about them. But I'd be interested in what you have. So shoot me a PM or something and we'll work out the details.

·
FSB Pimpster & Recruiter
5,716 Posts
Too bad he didnt have caps or lug nuts to give ya.

I think its not that expensive to have them "blasted", call some Machine shops around your area and see if they have the blaster and then ask them how much?

I will look and see watt i have and just PM me your addy., i ll send it to ya.

·
FSB Pimpster & Recruiter
5,716 Posts
Found the Locks, Dont know watt I did with the Lug nuts??? :twak

Are you gonna go all out "Polish" ??? :shrug :scratchhe

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Found the Locks, Dont know watt I did with the Lug nuts??? :twak

Are you gonna go all out "Polish" ??? :shrug :scratchhe

Just on the surface of the fins. No biggie and no rush on finding the stuff, It'll probably be a couple weeks before I actually swap them over anyway.

·
Premium Member
3,933 Posts
You can also get them machined to take standard acorn nuts, but there is a chance of the rim splitting, not so much on the 5 lugs.
8 lugs can split easier when pressing in the steel insert.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts